Renting is ruining people's lives

I agree but I wonder if tenants in other countries have more rights and the whole thing is better regulated.

You are kidding aren't you?

Have you perused the housing act 1988?

My tenant has left although I have a notice To quit ( section 8) which comes in to effect on the 31st of this month.

I cannot go in the house because they still have the keys and are the legal tenants until the 31st.

And I am still down 3 months rent.

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 15:09 ----------

I think you might have got off light there. It's non-payers that won't go that are the problem. :)

You are right. It's so tempting to go down the rent a thug route.

My tenant has left although I have a notice To quit ( section 8) which comes in to effect on the 31st of this month.

I cannot go in the house because they still have the keys and are the legal tenants until the 31st.

You had every right to give them notice to quit once they were two months in arrears. You could then take them to court and chase them for the money.

Why, is their full employment up North then?

Who are the "their" of whom you speak? No, they don't have full employment.

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 16:53 ----------

You had every right to give them notice to quit** once they were two months in arrears^^. You could then take them to court and chase them for the money$$.

Read:

** "Notice seeking possession"- not 'Notice To Quit'.

^^ "owing two months' rent"- not 'in arrears'.

$$ L can sue T for unpaid rent without any such Notice.

You had every right to give them notice to quit once they were two months in arrears. You could then take them to court and chase them for the money.

Yes but even if they stay in the property beyond the date I cannot go in and turf them out, I have to pay again for a court order ans still have to wait.

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 15:09 ----------

You are right. It's so tempting to go down the rent a thug route.

You can give 24 hrs notice and enter the property for inspection purposes.

Archived