Renting is ruining people's lives

You can give 24 hrs notice and enter the property for inspection purposes.

And if the tenant refuses?

No doubt a court order will be required as the police will tell you it's a civil matter.

More cost!.

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 08:46 ----------

Yes but even if they stay in the property beyond the date I cannot go in and turf them out, I have to pay again for a court order ans still have to wait.

It's one the perils of being a landlord.

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 08:48 ----------

You are right. It's so tempting to go down the rent a thug route.

And end up in prison!

The tenant can't refuse, the landlord has a legal right to inspect the property with 24 hrs notice.

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 09:14 ----------

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_renting_a_home_e/common_problems_with_renting.htm

Under "Rights of Entry"

Wrong. The L only has a right to enter immediately, if there is an emergency.

Other then that, L can give 24 hours notice, but if tenant refuses, L will have to get a court order to gain access, which could take months. I suggest you read this:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?26589-L-s-right-of-access-for-inspection-or-viewing

What majorly concerns me is the number of landlords who are a law unto themselves.

If you are going to rent out a property familarise yourself with tenancy legislation and ensure that you understand the terms of the tenancy agreement/ your rights and responsibilities.

There are just too many uneducated, ill informed landlords out there who would not recognise a valid notice if it backslapped them round the face.

I appreciate that there are nightmare tenants too but the majority of problems are caused by a lack of understanding around renting legalities and this contributes further to the ongoing housing pressures evident in this country.

What majorly concerns me is the number of landlords who are a law unto themselves.

If you are going to rent out a property familarise yourself with tenancy legislation and ensure that you understand the terms of the tenancy agreement/ your rights and responsibilities.

There are just too many uneducated, ill informed landlords out there who would not recognise a valid notice if it backslapped them round the face.

I appreciate that there are nightmare tenants too but the majority of problems are caused by a lack of understanding around renting legalities and this contributes further to the ongoing housing pressures evident in this country.

Maybe landlords should take courses and an exam before they can become a landlord.

Not a bad idea in my opinion.

The biggest cause of homelessness in the UK is illegal evictions by private landlords.

Landlords should also be registered. Landlords demand countless checks on their tenants, so why can't tenants have detailed checks about landlords and the state of their properties and how they treat their tenants?

@Cyclone

Agreed. Problems usually develop later on down the line.

The number of times I've been to view a property and a "landlord" has looked at me blankly when I've asked to see:

- An in date gas safety certificate

- A copy of the EPC (some don't even know what that stands for?!)

Also the amount of landlord's that don't know what the DPS is or realise that it is a legal requirment to protect the bond/ deposit.

When I've come across these situations I've obviously not taken the property. But what concerns me is that someone less clued up/ desperate will.

Archived