Generation Landlord

They are prevented from doing so as you so quiantly put it by not having a good enough income to get a mortgage, or more likely, wishing to live beyond thier means.

Regents Court, flat, £55k. Is that too much money for a first home of your own?

Yes and they can't afford them because BTL forced prices out of their reach, what many find annoying is they are then expected to pay more in rent than they would pay if a bank gave them a mortgage. If they did buy one and lost their job the government also wouldn't help them, but if they rent one and loose their job the government will help the investor by giving the tenant some free money.

Many tenants live beyond their means because they couldn't pay the rent without government help, but I bet most landlords are happy with that situation.

Yes and they can't afford them because BTL forced prices out of their reach, what many find annoying is they are then expected to pay more in rent than they would pay if a bank gave them a mortgage. If they did buy one and lost their job the government also wouldn't help them, but if they rent one and loose their job the government will help the investor by giving the tenant some free money.

Many tenants live beyond their means because they couldn't pay the rent without government help, but I bet most landlords are happy with that situation.

Good point. How can people expect to save for a deposit for a mortgage, when their rent costs more. They are effectively paying the landlord's mortgage.

Do people not think to start saving for a house as soon as they get a job anymore?

This perpetual bashing of small time BTL landlors is not only wrong its very tiresome.

You can buy houses around Sheffield for not a lot, a deposit is gonig to be about 5 grand at the most,,,,,,

How hard can it be to think ahead and get things sorted rather than expect "the state" to give you everything on demand?

Do people not think to start saving for a house as soon as they get a job anymore?

This perpetual bashing of small time BTL landlors is not only wrong its very tiresome.

You can buy houses around Sheffield for not a lot, a deposit is gonig to be about 5 grand at the most,,,,,,

How hard can it be to think ahead and get things sorted rather than expect "the state" to give you everything on demand?

Yeah because the UK is simply full of people on the NMW, stacking shelves at TESCOS just to feed themselves, nevermind even attempting to save for a deposit. Why do you think sharks like Wonga are big business?

Yeah because the UK is simply full of people on the NMW, stacking shelves at TESCOS just to feed themselves, nevermind even attempting to save for a deposit. Why do you think sharks like Wonga are big business?

Because people want to live lifestyles they cant afford.

Im not at all rich so therefore I hardly buy anything inappropriate to my finances _is that so hard to do? Like spend what you have not what you can borrow?

How many households live on the NMW only?

How many households live on the NMW only?

Not sure, but that's what employers want to pay and probably less if they thought they'd get away with it. It's what allows people to work for less. Can you imagine if there wasn't any social housing? TESCOS would have to pay their shelf stackers at least £30K or something.

And of course, that's mean mean an increase in consumer prices as the business has to pay all that extra wage ... and don't forget they're earning more so I'll have more of their wages too ... you know.

Not sure, but that's what employers want to pay and probably less if they thought they'd get away with it. It's what allows people to work for less. Can you imagine if there wasn't any social housing? TESCOS would have to pay their shelf stackers at least £30K or something.

And of course, that's mean mean an increase in consumer prices as the business has to pay all that extra wage ... and don't forget they're earning more so I'll have more of their wages too ... you know.

Sorry, but that is a warped vision of the world. My employer and potential employers pay me what I am worth on the open market. Same for my colleagues. This is enough for me to be able to afford living in my own house and being able to not rely on social housing.

The only reason this society relies on social housing is because it is there. I will happily wager a bet against that. If there was no social housing the market at the lower end would expand and provide alternatives. It would happen. Social housing is in fact one of the reasons that we see so little investment in affordable housing projects in this country.

How do I know? Because in the Netherlands people don't get social housing unless there is a very valid reason. Oddly enough, even people on low incomes are not homeless there, reason? they build houses for everybody. The town where I lived in my teens grew by 20% since I left, not to accommodate a larger population, but a population with a different household-markup. Since I have lived in Sheffield I have not seen any large scale building projects happen.

How many "shelf stackers" at a supermarket will be the main earner in thier family?

I mean. come on, be serious for a minute!

If the highlight of ones careers is going to be sticking boxes on shelves then its not a great achievement is it?

Archived