Athersley rec v stocksbridge ps

He plays for Athersley Rec Fc.Granted yes i have done about 4 posts on non league football and mostly related to my son regarding games(sheff senior cup final versus Frickley fc which athersley won at hillsborough in m,ay in front of 650) to wages at NCEL.

So as HELLOTHERE has commented on numerous posts about my son then i beg him to check my posts and count them.

And at only 19 and having been sat on bench at conference north level he is loving it at ncel level

Thanks Supremecc.

I`ve had lots of nice people helping and commenting on my few posts including a chap from Worksop Town Fc who even went to extremes to get a trial but they went into admin and are now in same league as athersley.

You clearly know what you are talking about because you made it. Oh, hang on. You didn't. The difference between that level and the pro's is in the head. It's easy to be fit when you get paid to train. The ability is already there. Thats why you see a lot of ex pros knocking about at that level. I'll give you luck. You do have to be in the right place at the right time.

So you are a professional footballer I assume from your post?

Having played for professional clubs and being released before playing in non-league for a few years before quitting football I'd say I made it as much as you have to date, no? (if you're the Darryl Thomas I'm thinking of)

Being the son of an ex-pro I do know what it takes to be a professional footballer.

Athersley Rec seem to have motored through the various leagues over the last 10 years, I'm half expecting to turn on the football results and see Athersley Rec 2 - 1 Man Utd.

Regards

Doom

I coach at this level and love it, there are so many hidden gems of football grounds all over the place. The football played is a very good level and at some clubs it is as serious as the pro game.

I am down at Worsbrough Bridge which has had quite a transformation over the last few years but some real success stories are knocking about like Athersley who are doing well and still not paying, Penistone Church finally got the promotion they have been chasing and of course Shaw Lane.

They had some money put in by Geoff Horsefield from what I remember, they went from County Senior through to NCEL and got promotion at the first attempt - and holding their own, think they finished about 10th in the NCEL premier last season

But you aren't though are you? So therefore you don't know what it takes or you'd be there. Anyone who comes on here spouting about how good they are a 100% of the time rubbish. If the bloke wants to talk about his lad then what's it got to do with you. And no, not pro. Never been pro but i know a lot of nearly rans and a couple of people that get paid to do it and the difference is mentality.

Archived