Thumbs up for the Northern General today

My 80 year old mother went into Hadfield 4 for bedrest 3 years ago. She had 2 falls on that ward which killed her. I had to spend a full day at the coroner's office. The consultant, matron, sister and nurses who were on duty also had to attend the coroner's court. I still say to this day that there was something very wrong with one of the nurses who was on duty when my mum had these falls, and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

In every profession there will always be those who go the extra mile, those who just do what they are paid to and those who do as little as possible. Nursing is no exception....I named my daughter after a nurse who was an absolute angel to my late dad when he was in hospital...but I was once in hospital myself and the standards of care and leadership of the staff nurse on the ward left a great deal to be desired.

Condemning a whole hospital because of the incompetence or attitude of a minority of staff members is ridiculous.

In every profession there will always be those who go the extra mile, those who just do what they are paid to and those who do as little as possible. Nursing is no exception....I named my daughter after a nurse who was an absolute angel to my late dad when he was in hospital...but I was once in hospital myself and the standards of care and leadership of the staff nurse on the ward left a great deal to be desired.

Condemning a whole hospital because of the incompetence or attitude of a minority of staff members is ridiculous.

But, of course, that won't stop some...

How absolutely lovely to hear that Minimo. All the news channels and newspapers ever report is what we're doing (or what we've done) wrong. It is always nice to hear from patients that we are appreciated and believe me, we do work hard (well, most of us in the NHS). I do hope you get better soon and the best of luck :smile:

Thank you Green Scrubs. I am still receiving treatment at the RHH, but undoubtedly improving, to the extent that tomorrow may be my last visit. I would then go onto oral treatment under my own gp, all being well.

I intend to write to the highest executive, if I can find his name, to give my wholehearted praise for the treatment given and the kindness shown by everyone.

Thank you Green Scrubs. I am still receiving treatment at the RHH, but undoubtedly improving, to the extent that tomorrow may be my last visit. I would then go onto oral treatment under my own gp, all being well.

I intend to write to the highest executive, if I can find his name, to give my wholehearted praise for the treatment given and the kindness shown by everyone.

Andrew Cash is the Chief Executive of the Sheffield Teaching Hospital Trust.