Thumbs up for the Northern General today

Completely agree with all the above, Northern General sorted me out a treat after Rotherham General made a massive mess of looking after me.

Exact same thing happened to my granddad, was taken to Rotherham and was basically on his death bed then thankfully got transferred to the NGH and after a 14wks they managed to get him back to fighting fit and sent him off home.. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jackie. That's why I posted. Too many people receive substandard levels of care, that I just wanted to show things can be good.

May I be so bold as to correct you - 'some' people receive substandard levels of care - they are reported with much vigour by the press but very little is reported about the good care which is the main.

I am really pleased that you are so happy with the care you received at the NGH and wish you a full and quick recovery.

Yep, brilliant service.

My 87 year old mother went in with a broken hip and came out with two!

At 87 she no doubt had osteoporosis, and if that was the case, something as simple as sneezing can cause a fracture. I know someone who turned over in bed and broke their back as a result of osteoporosis.

I went to the RHH for my second session today, and couldn't believe my eyes. The first person I saw in the unit was my 'angel' from yesterday. Apparently RHH is her normal place of work and it was just my good luck that she was at the NGH yesterday.

Due to yesterday's problems I was given an ECG, chest xray and had more bloods taken. I have another session tomorrow, when I should get all the hopefully good results.

I fully accept Daven's point about the numbers who receive poor care, and the reporting thereof.

Yep, brilliant service.

My 87 year old mother went in with a broken hip and came out with two!

People fall. They fall at home, on the street, in care homes and in hospital. It is nobody's fault and as there are not enough care staff to provide 1:1 care for all people at risk in hospitals, these things will sadly happen. I hope you're mum is ok and on the mend now.

At 87 she no doubt had osteoporosis, and if that was the case, something as simple as sneezing can cause a fracture. I know someone who turned over in bed and broke their back as a result of osteoporosis.

Nope, she didn't have osteoporosis.........she was left in the toilet on her own and fell..........the hospital also knew she had dementia.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 20:47 ----------

People fall. They fall at home, on the street, in care homes and in hospital. It is nobody's fault and as there are not enough care staff to provide 1:1 care for all people at risk in hospitals, these things will sadly happen. I hope you're mum is ok and on the mend now.

They should not be left alone in the toilet having had surgery two weeks before and having dementia. Telling someone not to get up when they have dementia just doesn't work.

I went to the RHH for my second session today, and couldn't believe my eyes. The first person I saw in the unit was my 'angel' from yesterday. Apparently RHH is her normal place of work and it was just my good luck that she was at the NGH yesterday.

Due to yesterday's problems I was given an ECG, chest xray and had more bloods taken. I have another session tomorrow, when I should get all the hopefully good results.

I fully accept Daven's point about the numbers who receive poor care, and the reporting thereof.

I really wish you the very best minimo - you will be very well cared for . X

Nope, she didn't have osteoporosis.........she was left in the toilet on her own and fell..........the hospital also knew she had dementia.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 20:47 ----------

They should not be left alone in the toilet having had surgery two weeks before and having dementia. Telling someone not to get up when they have dementia just doesn't work.

At two weeks on from surgery, I would have expected her to be mobilising.

They have you up and walking within a couple of days of surgery, these days.

Secondly, as I said above, at 87, she probably does have osteoporosis, there are very few 87 year olds who don't have bone density issues. As gnomi said,

a) falls happen all the time, and

b) very few hospitals provide 1:1 nursing.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 22:19 ----------

In a straightforward hip replacement, they look to discharging the patient by the third or fourth day after surgery.