Will you leave your money to your children or to charity?

It's not my list, altus and Cyclone - it was given out on the wireless by the disc jockey.

Just goes to show that you should check your sources then.

Sting didn't say that he wouldn't leave a penny to his children.

---------- Post added 25-07-2014 at 08:53 ----------

Probably the celebs that the OP is talking about feel that their children are doing pretty well already. They've likely had a great start in life, have had opportunities few others get, and won't be destitute. Their parents will have spent more than the equivalent of a legacy already on their education, their homelife and upbringing in general. They will have friends and contacts that will go on benefitting them their whole life. They'll manage!

For those of us with more modest backgrounds the prospect of an inheritance might make the difference in whether we can pay the bills comfortably, whether we could afford a mortgage / our own home or not, whether we will have a comfortable retirement ourselves.

Both sets of parents are doing their bit to set their kids up for when they're gone.

Also, for the mega rich with younger children, I totally get why people are reluctant to bankroll them to the tune of £millions at a young age. The temptation to go nuts, be reckless, and take no responsibility for making something of yourself in your own right must be huge.

I would say that a massive payout has the potential to do more harm than good in some cases. A £100k legacy will enhance your life but doesn't have the potential to destroy it.

Interesting point about what the inheritance might be used for.

My gran died, a little over a year ago now. So my father and uncle inherited a modest amount. At that point though they were already both retired and with grown children of their own.

Given the age people commonly live to now, and that is still increasing, it'll be an unusual (and probably sad) case if an inheritance helps someone buy a (first) home.

By that age, hopefully most adult children will have made plans long before and have their retirement income sorted, the bills covered and a roof over their heads (maybe even be considering downsizing).

It's not my list, altus and Cyclone - it was given out on the wireless by the disc jockey.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 20:37 ----------

It's a nice sentiment, Olive, but please don't make excuses for these mean, self obsessed celebs.

She is not making excuses for them. She clearly pointed out that the children of these people were probably educated highly, have access to contacts whom can set them up for life and probably have already had access to enough money to see that they are comfortable for the rest of their life.

I really do not understand why you have a bee in your bonnet that some people would rather donate their money as opposed to passing it their children? Like I said, horses for courses :)

What's your excuse then?

Your question doesn't make sense - can you elaborate please, Bonzo77?

---------- Post added 25-07-2014 at 15:06 ----------

Just goes to show that you should check your sources then.

Sting didn't say that he wouldn't leave a penny to his children.

How do you know - what is your source?

Your question doesn't make sense - can you elaborate please, Bonzo77?

You call these people mean and self obsessed, yet by doing this, you're sounding quite mean yourself. Why do you feel the need to call them mean?

It's up to them what they do with their money. Do you actually think they will leave their kids penniless, or do you think they'll see their children become successful while they are still alive?

Theses celebs, in question, aren't just well off people, wer're talking about leaving their children, tens, even hundreds of million. That could be as dangerous as it is helpful.

Archived