Screaming Trampolining Children!

No one has to endure that, because it doesn't happen to anyone, anywhere.

Kids have trampolines, but they don't spend every waking hour on them, screaming. Stop pretending that they do.

No - if you read what I relayed from the radio programme I listened to, you will realise that is not the case. Any one family, yes, you are correct - it is unlikely that their children will be on the thing every waking hour (although it wouldn't matter if they were, as long as they did it without screaming constantly as they bounced).

The point some listeners made was that their neighbours' children's trampoline attracted every other child in the vicinity to come and play at that house as well, so there would be not two or three, but six or seven or even ten kids all taking turns (or not) and yelling their heads off on the trampoline throughout the day. In some cases it was actually a formal arrangement while the parents were at work. That is what resulted in day-long noise of an excessive and antisocial level - all in the name of kids 'having fun'.

No - if you read what I relayed from the radio programme I listened to, you will realise that is not the case. Any one family, yes, you are correct - it is unlikely that their children will be on the thing every waking hour (although it wouldn't matter if they were, as long as they did it without screaming constantly as they bounced).

The point some listeners made was that their neighbours' children's trampoline attracted every other child in the vicinity to come and play at that house as well, so there would be not two or three, but six or seven or even ten kids all taking turns (or not) and yelling their heads off on the trampoline throughout the day. In some cases it was actually a formal arrangement while the parents were at work. That is what resulted in day-long noise of an excessive and antisocial level - all in the name of kids 'having fun'.

Exactly, all in the name of 'kids having fun'. What a terrible thing that would be. Kids, having fun, during the day, in the week when everyone else is at work!

They must have been scraping the barrel on the Jeremy Vine show!

Actually, they sometimes have stories like this on the JV show, just so people like you can ring up and entertain all the normal people :hihi:

Exactly, all in the name of 'kids having fun'. What a terrible thing that would be. Kids, having fun, during the day, in the week when everyone else is at work!
You still don't get it, do you? Some kids would find tormenting animals fun, or throwing paint over their neighbour's fence, or knocking on their door all day long and running away. Most children (not to mention a fair few adults) would class destroying things as great fun. No reasonable adult would argue that just because something is 'fun' for a child, it makes it right. Perhaps we must conclude that you are not a reasonable adult and leave it at that. Although you seem hell bent ignoring the fact,children having fun does not have to involve endless shrieking. It really doesn't.

In any case, the neighbours whose lives are being restricted by the children screaming are not at work - they are at home trying - not unreasonably - to enjoy their gardens in this nice weather. Some of them are night shift workers, my daughter for example, who is an A & E doctor trying to sleep during the day before 12 hour night shifts. She was kept awake at the weekend by six hours of kids' screaming from next door, which the parents afterwards agreed was a bit selfish of them. A bleary eyed, sleep deprived doctor in A & E is not great.

They must have been scraping the barrel on the Jeremy Vine show!
That must depend on your perspective of what is interesting and important. But as I said, if you think this is a non-issue for you, simply don't contribute. To do otherwise would certainly suggest poppet2 is right about you being a troll. Do us all a favour and toddle off to a thread you find genuinely interesting.

I'm with you Alice. I love hearing my grandchildren playing outside and having fun, but it doesn't need to be accompanied at all times by high pitched screaming. The oldest two have a large communal space outside their back garden where they play with other children on their estate. Sometimes goals are set up, they play on their bikes and scooters, or they make dens. They laugh and shout, but if any of them scream it's usually because they've got a reason for it! If any of them just screamed continuously their parents would intervene as they all try to consider the neighbours. It's how they have been brought up, and they are trying to ensure their kids don't behave like oafs.

I am not a killjoy or a grumpy old woman. My objection to kids screaming is simple......screaming should be a sign of something wrong either an injured child or a child in danger not simply part of playing.

I'm with you Alice. I love hearing my grandchildren playing outside and having fun, but it doesn't need to be accompanied at all times by high pitched screaming. The oldest two have a large communal space outside their back garden where they play with other children on their estate. Sometimes goals are set up, they play on their bikes and scooters, or they make dens. They laugh and shout, but if any of them scream it's usually because they've got a reason for it! If any of them just screamed continuously their parents would intervene as they all try to consider the neighbours. It's how they have been brought up, and they are trying to ensure their kids don't behave like oafs.

At last - some sanity prevails! Thank you, both.

It's pretty natural for kids to scream, especially if their numbers are high. Children haven't learned the art of diplomacy, making way for each other on an individual basis, so tend to try to get heard by shouting over each other. With an under developed larynx trying to make yourself heard usually results in screaming...although that isn't the intent usually. Immature adults in groups do the same, it just results in shouting. Personally because of this I make allowances but up until a point only.

Parents have to play a part in how their children conduct themselves..within reason, and not by screaming at them as that'll just create confusion. :hihi:

My experience is boys are the worse culprits as they are so competitive.

Screaming is a natural response to fear and pain, but if unchecked it can become contagious and habitual, I think. Perhaps because it is so prevalent (even encouraged) at theme parks on 'scary' rides, kids associate it with having fun and transfer it to other situations where there is an element of artificial/perceived danger, e.g. more than one person on a trampoline, or jumping into a pool.

Whatever the reason, it's bloody antisocial and parents need to exercise some responsibility!

I think it's equally endemic amongst girls and boys - but girls tend to be shriller/higher pitched, so even harder on the ears!

Screaming is a natural response to fear and pain, but if unchecked it can become contagious and habitual, I think. Perhaps because it is so prevalent (even encouraged) at theme parks on 'scary' rides, kids associate it with having fun and transfer it to other situations where there is an element of artificial/perceived danger, e.g. more than one person on a trampoline, or jumping into a pool.

Whatever the reason, it's bloody antisocial and parents need to exercise some responsibility!

I think it's equally endemic amongst girls and boys - but girls tend to be shriller/higher pitched, so even harder on the ears!

It's also a natural response to "need". Infants are probably more prone to "need" than pain or fear. The result of pain and fear manifests itself as need/attention. Until their reasoning skills develop which in part is the result of good parenting, children if unchecked will continue. When an infant is in need (food) the result is the need to be satisfied..usually. Through experiencing that "need" gets results, it's not surprising that it develops later on with the intent of "being heard". The little sods are not daft. annoying maybe.

Archived