Onset of Eid 2014

Eid al Fitr will be on Tuesday... All day.

But despite all our knowledge regarding astronomy, we are supposed to say it cannot be confirmed until the moon has been sighted on Monday evening.

What happens if it's too cloudy to see, does it all get postponed until a clear night?

What happens if it's too cloudy to see, does it all get postponed until a clear night?

No, if it's not seen, whether because of cloud, or if it simply does not appear, on the expected night, it is assumed that it will be seen the following night, and Muslims will simply fast for one more day.

The Islamic month (whether it's Ramadan or one of the other months) cannot be more than 30 days, so the following day after the 30th of Ramadan will have to be the first day of the month Shawwal.

Plain Talker, just want to ask, I found in the Netherlands that Eid was a great time for non-muslims to get to know their muslim neighbours better, although I didn't invite myself, a simple Eid Mubarak got me a number of invites to families in the town! Is that the case here as well? As I understood it Eid is particularly about celebrating as a community and with the whole community, regardless of background etc?

Archived