Onset of Eid 2014

Plain Talker, just want to ask, I found in the Netherlands that Eid was a great time for non-muslims to get to know their muslim neighbours better, although I didn't invite myself, a simple Eid Mubarak got me a number of invites to families in the town! Is that the case here as well? As I understood it Eid is particularly about celebrating as a community and with the whole community, regardless of background etc?

It depends on the individual people, Tim, as is the case, probably anywhere.

A neighbourly attitude can go a long way to cementing friendships.

Yes, Eid is about family, and community, and people coming together to celebrate.A big part of Islam is about doing good, be it to an individual (like inviting them for a meal) or in the community (I'm part of a group who co and do litter-picks in local areas, to try and improve the locale for the residents, things like this)

There's going to be a big festival next weekend (2nd and 3rd August) in Millhouses park, last years was a roaring success, very enjoyable.

If you would like to talk to some Muslim blokes about what the significance is, of the Eid festival, you'd be very welcome to come to the park, and chat, I'm sure they'd be pleased to explain a little about the faith and the festival.

Archived