Tram tracks - accident feedback to council

How is it wrong? If there are no obstructions and a bike cant avoid a metal strip and groove a few inches wide, then they really shouldnt be out on a bike.

OK.

In an instance like going up City Road, you're right it's easy to avoid the tram tracks, you keep to the left of them.

However, how do you avoid the tram tracks going down City Road, where they turn across you? Or what about West Street, where you cannot keep to the left of the tram tracks because of the tram stops that keep sticking out from the curb?

Edited by JFKvsNixon

How is it wrong? If there are no obstructions and a bike cant avoid a metal strip and groove a few inches wide, then they really shouldnt be out on a bike.
and several miles long.

They arent very good cyclists, clearly.

Seeing as you are only here to be insulting and show how incredibly little you know about cycling, why do you insist on posting in these threads?

Particularly as your posts usually get deleted from cycling threads for those very reasons.

Several Reasons for having to cross the tracks have already been mentioned. Perhaps you could try to read the thread before posting from a position of ignorance.

Something the council could do very easily is post warnings, and with a little bit of thought they could avoid routing cycle lanes onto tram tracks. If you follow a cycle lane & then get spat out onto the tram tracks with nowhere else to go, and no warning of the hazard, that's plain stupid but it is exactly how things are done now. Again, no need for consultants to tell you this - it's bleeding obvious!

I've emailed with my sorry tale of tram woes, 3 nasty accidents, no trips to A&E thankfully but my right elbow will be scarred for life :|

An explanation doesn't make the track any less slippery in the wet, or the groove any less wheel sized...

The tracks cause cars and motorbikes to crash, both of which have more stability and rubber contact than a bike...

An explanation doesn't make the track any less slippery in the wet, or the groove any less wheel sized...

The tracks cause cars and motorbikes to crash, both of which have more stability and rubber contact than a bike...

I drive a 7.5 tonne wagon on the tracks quite regularly and that feels horrible, you can feel it sliding and being steered by the tracks rather than the steering wheel. People can make pious remarks about how cyclists ought to negotiate the tracks, but there are basic laws of physics here. If you keep your tyre straight when you cross the tracks, you risk it getting caught and going splat. If you turn at an acute angle, there is a moment where the only point of contact between the tyre and road is the tram track - if it's wet & greasy, and you are not in perfect balance (which you won't be because you're turning), the tyre will lose traction and flick out sideways from under you - same result, splat. The council have been in denial about this for years (probably fear of litigation) but there is so much that could be done to help keep cyclists away from the tracks. I wouldn't have been cycling along Langsett Rd at all where I had my last accident if I'd known that there was a cycle track by Penistone Rd that took me to exactly the same place - but there are no signs to a) warn that the tram tracks are dangerous and b) indicate the presence of a safe alternative.

So it appears that the Council are studying how to make the tram tracks safer for cyclists. The best time to do this being just after the whole system has had new tracks laid. Then they wonder why people have no confidence in them.

Edited by nohands
Correcting grammar

I'm going to have to send them a new report.

I picked up a city bike from cycle boost today, thinking I'd try it out for commuting and see if it's better than a mountain or 29er.

Not even got it home when crossing the tracks in my usual manner, the back wheel slides and I'm on the floor.

Slid for about 10 metres I estimate, probably doing 10/15 mph when I lost it. Have a grazed elbow, bruised heel and a red face (from embarrassment).

So, officially not impressed with the city bike and the narrow tyres, and the thing weighs more than my 29er as well. I'll be taking it back next week I think and stick with what I feel safe on.

It was nice that at least 4 or 5 people stopped to ask if I was okay.

Edited by Cyclone

I'm going to have to send them a new report.

I picked up a city bike from cycle boost today, thinking I'd try it out for commuting and see if it's better than a mountain or 29er.

Not even got it home when crossing the tracks in my usual manner, the back wheel slides and I'm on the floor.

Slid for about 10 metres I estimate, probably doing 10/15 mph when I lost it. Have a grazed elbow, bruised heel and a red face (from embarrassment).

So, officially not impressed with the city bike and the narrow tyres, and the thing weighs more than my 29er as well. I'll be taking it back next week I think and stick with what I feel safe on.

It was nice that at least 4 or 5 people stopped to ask if I was okay.

Was it dry conditions, or wet from the rain?

Does seem to be a bit of a lottery- I was very confident crossing them up till the point when, for no apparent reason (crossed it in my usual cautious way) I came off.

I guess sometimes they could have a bit of oil/fuel on them.