Tram tracks - accident feedback to council

It was still damp from the rain earlier.

I'd even thought about the fact that it was a new bike, so I made a point of going over at a decent angle. Didn't help.

Feeling a bit sore today, seem to have twisted my ankle slightly somehow, got a few grazed and my shoulder has been wrenched a little.

Yes- I'd say that if it's raining, or has rained, or the lines are wet in any way, then however adept someone is at crossing them, there's a decent chance they could come off.

Good that you're not badly hurt- been lots of broken bones from coming off at the tramlines, plus, I believe, some fatalities.

I reckon if there were stats for serious injuries of cyclists coming off on the lines, that they would be shocking reading.

Just as disturbing are the number of cars/vans experiencing loss of traction on them- that's also bad news for any cyclists they may be overtaking.

Yes- I'd say that if it's raining, or has rained, or the lines are wet in any way, then however adept someone is at crossing them, there's a decent chance they could come off.

Good that you're not badly hurt- been lots of broken bones from coming off at the tramlines, plus, I believe, some fatalities.

I reckon if there were stats for serious injuries of cyclists coming off on the lines, that they would be shocking reading.

Just as disturbing are the number of cars/vans experiencing loss of traction on them- that's also bad news for any cyclists they may be overtaking.

Yeah, I'm blaming the bike and the narrow tyres, I feel much more secure on the 29er with more rubber in contact as I cross over (and being a lighter bike helps as well), I tried to hop the hybrid this morning, just to see, and I can't get the bloody thing of the ground it's so heavy.

I'll be taking it back to cycleboost on Thursday, far too dangerous IMO. I wanted to try a city bike to check them out, and I've done that now. I won't be going near one ever again.

Most accidents occurred during the black outs but common sense prevailed

in "ye good olde days " you don't get much of that today.

Incorrect.

In 1926, the first year records were kept, there were 4886 deaths on the roads. There weren't any blackouts that year.

Deaths peaked in 1941 at 9169. There had been a bit of a jump from 1939, so maybe blackouts had something to do with it, but after 1945 there was no dramatic fall in deaths. In 1945 there were 5256 deaths and in 1946 there were 5062 deaths. Deaths climed to 7763 in 1972 and then started to decline. In 2012 there were only 1754 deaths on the roads.

Leaving aside deaths, the overall casualty rate now is lower than it has ever been.

I haven't yet found stats relating specifically to trams. I would expect them to follow the same pattern.

On Facebook today, Sheffield Online posted about a car accident on Park Grange Road which ended up with the car upside down. Lots of comments from drivers about how dodgy tram tracks can be.

Haven't clicked on the link but I live up there and there is sod all wrong with driving on that road if sticking to 30 and I do it every single day. He will have been going over the limit in wet conditions.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 01:13 ----------

Have now clicked the link and can't see why he would have wheels on the tracks where he overturned. Will have been hammering it at 40 or so.

Haven't clicked on the link but I live up there and there is sod all wrong with driving on that road if sticking to 30 and I do it every single day. He will have been going over the limit in wet conditions.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 01:13 ----------

Have now clicked the link and can't see why he would have wheels on the tracks where he overturned. Will have been hammering it at 40 or so.

I know the chap involved in this accident and can assure you he wasn't 'hammering it' but was driving carefully with his elderly mother in the car but unfortunately lost control and flipped the car, both are fine but a bit shaken up..

Don't make foolish assumptions about how that particular incident happened, but the reason I posted it was because of people commenting how dodgy tracks can be when driving.

All the scc need to do is stop access to roads with tram tracks to cyclist and divert cyclist on a different route with no tram tracks. if the route takes longer for them then thats there problem other motorist have to divert away from bus gates etc. And if its going to be safer for them then it would be a job well done :hihi: