Why do West Street job centre staff have to treat people like dirt?

Why do the staff at this job centre, (not all) those in the room at the back of the building, treat people like dirt.

I have been signing on for a year now, been on the courses got the licenses and certificates etc. But as soon as places hear my age they back off. (I'm nearly 60 ).

I'm now on this job-search program and I go to see someone in a private company (very nice lady), because of this I now have to sign on at West st. I previously did so at Bank st, I never had a problem there and all the staff there , that I dealt with are lovely.

Not so at West st, they are awful, they take great delight in belittling people and one woman in particular is hated by every one who has to go in there to sign.

These are the staff at the back of the building who deal with the job-search program people who sign on.

They have petty rules that they love to enforce to show a person up and whilst you're waiting you can hear them belittling whomever is in front of them. They are like a gang of school bullies seeing who can insult someone the worst.

They have posters all over the walls asking people to be courteous and respectful to the staff who work there, but they don't feel the need to be the same to those whom they deal with.

Most of , but not all, the people who have to go there are like me getting on in years and to be spoken to like we are naughty children is humiliating.

I can't see why the gov is wasting money to send us to these private company's to help us look for work when every thing they say is then countermanded by these power hungry individuals ?

Just because someone is out of work doesn't give others a license to treat them like scum.:mad:

I wonder how much Job Centres cost to run and what their actual value is, other than making people jump through hoops and convincing voters that the Government is tackling the 'work shy'. I pity the people that work there.

I went into West Street last week and the lady there could not have been more helpful.

Only have to go to get something signed.

Some of them clearly have a chip on their shoulder but that's not all of them.

Went in there last year and the person I saw was a right b****.

She asked my NI number, which I had a job to remember.

I recalled it was AB123456 (example) but I could not recall the last letter.

Knew it was A or B or C or D.

She seemed very upset when I suggested she tried A, which was correct.

Anyway, before she finished, looked at her watch and it was time for a tea break!

Another lady came to complete and she was an angel.

It's certainly not a place I'd enjoy working.

I'm sure a high percentage of the clients are polite and pleasant but it's probably the few who are nightmares that cause the problems.

Edited by Gleadly

I had a few bad experiences with a venomous lady who worked at this job centre. I am not a violent person but I would have happily beat that woman to death, for the way she treated me and manipulated what I said so she can recommend I am sanctioned for applying for the wrong type of jobs that week.

It is about time the government got rid of these jobcentres. They are pointless, it should be left to private employment agencies like Randstad and so on, the Dutch discovered that when the company helping you find work actually makes money from doing so, there are fewer long-term unemployed, weird how that works!

Edit: rather than have people make a living from keeping you unemployed, which seems to be the idea at the Jobcentres!

It is about time the government got rid of these jobcentres. They are pointless, it should be left to private employment agencies like Randstad and so on, the Dutch discovered that when the company helping you find work actually makes money from doing so, there are fewer long-term unemployed, weird how that works!

Edit: rather than have people make a living from keeping you unemployed, which seems to be the idea at the Jobcentres!

yes some people make a fortune out of it :loopy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/exclusive-a4e-and-a-200m-backtowork-scandal-7440966.html back to the drawing board eh:roll:

A4E made money from the government by offering courses to get people back to work. What I am talking about are companies that don't interact with the government unless they are clients.

Randstad (and others like them) helps companies fill vacancies, for each vacancy they fill they get money from the company that had the vacancy and not a dime from the government. In exchange Randstad does the whole recruitment/selection process, deals with payment and so on. A very different thing to A4e.

The point being: The government should stop meddling with this process and just let the market do what it does best: manage.

Typical libertarian/neo-liberal cant, no concern for the person who has to face these private companies, its bad enough for them when they have to deal with the JC staff, but once the profit motive is introduced it gets much worse. Its revealing how Cameron is friendly with the very right wing Dutch Govt and its likely some sort of system similar to the one organised by Randstad will be introduced here.

btw, not much liberal about these companies having the power to sanction and effectively starve people into submission.

Typical libertarian/neo-liberal cant, no concern for the person who has to face these private companies, its bad enough for them when they have to deal with the JC staff, but once the profit motive is introduced it gets much worse. Its revealing how Cameron is friendly with the very right wing Dutch Govt and its likely some sort of system similar to the one organised by Randstad will be introduced here.

btw, not much liberal about these companies having the power to sanction and effectively starve people into submission.

I think it demonstrates 'no concern for the person' to make people like the OP jump through ridiculous bureaucratic hoops in order to satisfy some lofty but entirely arbitrary targets.

Companies like Randstad and the like aren't perfect, but at least they aren't screwing the public purse as a business model. A4E was and the folks at the Jobcentre are.

As to your last point: Care to elaborate what you mean?