Why do West Street job centre staff have to treat people like dirt?

Yeah, I agree with all that...

... but I think the problem here is that everyone seems to be being treated the same.

Not everyone wants to be or is capable of being internet savvy. Sending them on a course does not necessarily give them the confidence to go it alone and start applying for jobs online.

Does everyone that signs the jsa agreement by default agree to use the internet for job searches or is it possible to have that clause removed for those that don't like using the internet?

What happens if you don't sign the jsa agreement? Presumably you don't get anything?

So of course people are going to sign... :|

Who cares if they WANT to be... They are to take all necessary steps to seek work. Basic computer literacy is a major skill everyone should have in the modern world. If you have not got it and you want your JSA, get it. Its not for people to choose what skills and abililties they WANT to do have when someone else is paying their living costs.

Taking ALL necessary steps to seek all suitable work as quickly as possible. That's what JSA is supposed to be for. Temporary benefit for people in between jobs.

Everyone is CAPABLE of doing something with approprite training, which the jobcentre and other organistaitons freely offer. Unless there is a specific physical, learning or mental health disability which absolutely prevent someone from understanding what they are being shown - in which case a said person would not be on JSA anyway - there is no reason why someone after training will not be "confident" to do something as basic as use to internet and look for a job.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Who cares if they WANT to be... They are to take all necessary steps to seek work. Basic computer literacy is a major skill everyone should have in the modern world. If you have not got it and you want your JSA, get it. Its not for people to choose what skills and abililties they WANT to do have when someone else is paying their living costs.

Everyone is CAPABLE of doing something with approprite training. Unless there is a specific physical, learning or mental health disability which absolutely prevent someone from understanding what they are being shown - in which case a said person would not be on JSA anyway - there is no reason why someone after training will not be "confident" to do something as basic as use to internet and look for a job.

Hmmm? :huh:

You don't work at the job centre by any chance? ;)

Not everyone wants to be or is capable of being internet savvy. Sending them on a course does not necessarily give them the confidence to go it alone and start applying for jobs online.

Does everyone that signs the jsa agreement by default agree to use the internet for job searches or is it possible to have that clause removed for those that don't like using the internet?

What happens if you don't sign the jsa agreement? Presumably you don't get anything?

So of course people are going to sign... :|

1. Its not compulsory to use the internet but you are making it much harder for yourself as 60%? pf jobs are advertised on therer. Its also a much more effective method of looking.

2. Its up to the claimant to ask for help if they need it. For those that cnat use it, then the tutors that run the courses are trained to teach them. If they still cnat use it, then they need to say. At some stage an individual has to take responsibility.

3. No they dont agree to use the internet by default. Its bt far the easiest way to prove you are looking for a job.

4. The benefit is called jobseekers allowance. If you wont agree to look for a job, then of course you arent entitled to the benefit.

1. Its not compulsory to use the internet but you are making it much harder for yourself as 60%? pf jobs are advertised on therer. Its also a much more effective method of looking.

2. Its up to the claimant to ask for help if they need it. For those that cnat use it, then the tutors that run the courses are trained to teach them. If they still cnat use it, then they need to say. At some stage an individual has to take responsibility.

3. No they dont agree to use the internet by default. Its bt far the easiest way to prove you are looking for a job.

4. The benefit is called jobseekers allowance. If you wont agree to look for a job, then of course you arent entitled to the benefit.

Thanks for that! :)

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 14:41 ----------

Nope. Why would that be relevant anyway?

It's not really - I just thought you may have picked up your caring manner there, that's all! ;)

... and presumably this is fully explained to people?

So, if agreements are easy to change, how come so many people get sanctioned?

Wouldn't it just be a case of needing to change the agreement to better suit the claimant's circumstances? :huh:

People are sanctioned for the following reasons failing to comply with the terms of jsa, failing to participate in the work programme, failing to follow the advice of your advisor, failing to attend an appointment.

You cna at any stage go back and ask to alter your agreement, but you will still be required to show your efforts in finding a job i.e so many applications a week.

I repeat that isnt to say sanctions are either fair or effective, but that is a different matter from DWP staff allegedly treating people like dirt. If you feel their behaviour is along those lines then you should make a written complaint. Many of the complaints and ill will is generated because they are required to ask and check a claimant is fulfilling their end of the jsa agreement. Some probably do lack the training to be as tactful as others.

Edited by 999tigger

Thanks for that! :)

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 14:41 ----------

It's not really - I just thought you may have picked up your caring manner there, that's all! ;)

No I picked up my caring manner spending over 10 years working in Legal Aid assisting street homless and drug dependant clients resolve their problems and get back on their feet. Plus my work as a Director at a learning disability charity providing training, employment and entertainment to adults with learning disabilities.

Do you know what all these people had in common? They made every attempts they could to HELP THEMSELVES. They would listen to the advice, they would make the effort to liaise with the relevant organisations, they would learn new skills, they would make every effort to develop themselves to get back into contributing what they could to society.

Any JSA claimant has a duty to ensure they are doing exactly the same.

"I cant do that..." "Its too hard..." "I dont want to..." from a perfectly able person receiving benefit whilst they are supposedly seeking work just does not cut it with me.

Edited by ECCOnoob

"I cant do that..." "Its too hard..." "I dont want to..." from a perfectly able person receiving benefit whilst they are supposedly seeking work just does not cut it with me.

Hey, I totally agree with you.

It's just that in my opinion, it's not these type of people who are likely to suggest that they have been 'treated like dirt', but the genuine ones who may be doing their best to find a job but for whatever reason may be finding it difficult to satisfy their js agreement, and are at the same time being treated no better than the ones you identify. :|

... and presumably this is fully explained to people?

So, if agreements are easy to change, how come so many people get sanctioned?

Wouldn't it just be a case of needing to change the agreement to better suit the claimant's circumstances? :huh:

When I signed on it was explained to me but it's just human nature to forget but after 2 yrs on benefit and thus going onto work program the claiment would know the system and to ask for help as they should be seeing an adviser every 3ish months to check and alter agreements if required the other times they turn up and sign they see an advisers assistant who checks the job search etc ....

they should also be advising if if the job search isn't done right but they can only tell then warn someone so many times before other options have to be looked into

When I signed on it was explained to me but it's just human nature to forget but after 2 yrs on benefit and thus going onto work program the claiment would know the system and to ask for help as they should be seeing an adviser every 3ish months to check and alter agreements if required the other times they turn up and sign they see an advisers assistant who checks the job search etc ....

they should also be advising if if the job search isn't done right but they can only tell then warn someone so many times before other options have to be looked into

What other options?