Why do West Street job centre staff have to treat people like dirt?

I knew someone who used to work there, some years ago.

Was a really friendly easy going individual but said some of the abuse she got was unbelievable.

I am glad I don't work out there any more. We didn't have security guards and screens when I worked out there and we did have a few people who were bloody horrors but the majority were fine. Tho we were next door to the cop shop so I suppose we had on hand 'security' of sorts if needed.

The security guards are there because of the behaviour of the few, not the many.

I am glad I don't work out there any more. We didn't have security guards and screens when I worked out there and we did have a few people who were bloody horrors but the majority were fine. Tho we were next door to the cop shop so I suppose we had on hand 'security' of sorts if needed.

The security guards are there because of the behaviour of the few, not the many.

Yes that's basically what she said.

• 7 months later...
Sanctioning people if they cant follow the rules is not treating them like dirt.

Not to say whether I think they are fair or effective.

I have followed every petty rule laid down. Some folk seem to be under the impression that we have a choice not to do so. :rolleyes:

I got a verbal warning from Mrs Cow a few weeks ago, Why? because I had filled the dates in a week before on the form they have us fill in re- job search. I do this so I know where I am as I tend to forget things (this happens when one is nearly 60). Nor do they get to keep the forms once filled in. Just an excuse to belittle.

Last week when I went Mrs Cow told me if there weren't any jobs here for me that I should move to where the jobs were.

Apparently this woman's husband is out of work and she is the sole breadwinner. Pity us who she takes her frustrations out on.

I have followed every petty rule laid down. Some folk seem to be under the impression that we have a choice not to do so. :rolleyes:

I got a verbal warning from Mrs Cow a few weeks ago, Why? because I had filled the dates in a week before on the form they have us fill in re- job search. I do this so I know where I am as I tend to forget things (this happens when one is nearly 60). Nor do they get to keep the forms once filled in. Just an excuse to belittle.

Last week when I went Mrs Cow told me if there weren't any jobs here for me that I should move to where the jobs were.

Apparently this woman's husband is out of work and she is the sole breadwinner. Pity us who she takes her frustrations out on.

It's disgusting. You should contact the press. It's time they did a story on this. They should have hidden cameras to let the general public know exactly what is going on and what fellow human beings are being subjected to.

They should have hidden cameras to let the general public know exactly what is going on and what fellow human beings are being subjected to.

Unfortuniatly as it's a queens building even the police have to be invited in and that would be breaking the law and open the person and company to being given a heavy fine

But at the end of the day it's simple do what you have signed an agreement to do and get your benefits ,if you don't you get a warning like someone else above do it again then get it stopped .

Have anyone thought what it's like being on the other side of that desk seeing the same things wrong day after day , the same excuses from the same ppl ? being moaned at shouted at abused in some cases and I've seen and heard of staff members being threatened just for doing their job !!!! .These ppl put up with a lot of s**t from some of the claimants and as we all know keeping a smile and being happy all the time when working like that is nigh on impossible

Unfortuniatly as it's a queens building even the police have to be invited in and that would be breaking the law and open the person and company to being given a heavy fine

But at the end of the day it's simple do what you have signed an agreement to do and get your benefits ,if you don't you get a warning like someone else above do it again then get it stopped .

Have anyone thought what it's like being on the other side of that desk seeing the same things wrong day after day , the same excuses from the same ppl ? being moaned at shouted at abused in some cases and I've seen and heard of staff members being threatened just for doing their job !!!! .These ppl put up with a lot of s**t from some of the claimants and as we all know keeping a smile and being happy all the time when working like that is nigh on impossible

Well that's more reason why their needs to be a media spotlight on this, in the public interest, and in the interest of claimants and workers.

It wouldn't be the first time, the media have been bold in the name of a 'public interest' story.

Perhaps it is your attitude that is the problem. You are being given stuff for free, society is keeping you alive whilst you do not contribute to it financially. Instead of being grateful for the help, you refer to the job centre employee as "Mrs Cow", you should probably remember what side your bread is buttered on.

With regards to pre-filling forms, do you mean the job search/application bit? It looks very dodgy if you are putting down dates of job applications before you have actually applied. It makes it very much look like you have no intention of applying, that your intention was to mislead the centre staff next week by claiming you had applied on the stated dates.

Perhaps it is your attitude that is the problem. You are being given stuff for free, society is keeping you alive whilst you do not contribute to it financially. Instead of being grateful for the help, you refer to the job centre employee as "Mrs Cow", you should probably remember what side your bread is buttered on.

With regards to pre-filling forms, do you mean the job search/application bit? It looks very dodgy if you are putting down dates of job applications before you have actually applied. It makes it very much look like you have no intention of applying, that your intention was to mislead the centre staff next week by claiming you had applied on the stated dates.

People shouldn't have to grovel or be subservient for someone to respect their rights. Many people who have the misfortune to claim benefits, either because they are paid too low to live on, or have lost their job, have paid into a contributory system. They are not there for the benefit of job centre staff. It's the other way round!