Charging for tap water

anouska

We had had two meals which cost us £29.00 so i think it is not unreasonable to expect to get free tap water.

Why did you only realise when you got home and looked at the receipt ?

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 21:25 ----------

We went to Rising Sun Abbey Lane and could not believe it when we were charged for tap water. they used to give a jug of water with ice cubes but this was straight out of the tap and it being a hot day warm. When we got home and looked at our receipt we saw they had charged us for the water

£1.00.

If your meals were £29 wouldn't you have realised when you paid £30 you didn't get a £1 change?

They are one and the same thing.

Not when it only applies to the water served and not a % on the whole bill its not.

An individual charge on the water is a service charge, a % on the bill would be a gratuity.

---------- Post added 31-07-2014 at 02:20 ----------

Not wanting too sound impolite but just wanting your input... Is an extra 10 to 15 percent service charge on top of the bill sound acceptable to you...

To be honest i always tip depending on the service, i dont think its correct to apply it without your consent, just comes across as cheeky.

We had had two meals which cost us £29.00 so i think it is not unreasonable to expect to get free tap water.

Perhaps so, but it can be considered unreasonable to use legislation designed to avoid dehydration at dance halls with alcohol to claim a freebie.

I believe that Jumbos once upon a time charged for tap water and displayed the costs of providing the service. Perhaps the provision of free water isn't a legal requirement.

Regardless of what you believe, their is a legal obligation on all premises, licensed to serve alcohol, to provide free tap water.

A water fountain in the corner would satisfy that legal requirement. All the rest is down to practicality, reasonable recovery of additional costs, and customer satisfaction.

Legally, a licensed premises is obliged to provide free tap water to someone that walks in and asks for nothing else. Is that fair?

The facility to make a reasonable charge for labour, washing-up etc. and a successful business would, presumably, implement a sensible level of balance.

Regardless of what you believe, their is a legal obligation on all premises, licensed to serve alcohol, to provide free tap water.

A water fountain in the corner would satisfy that legal requirement. All the rest is down to practicality, reasonable recovery of additional costs, and customer satisfaction.

Legally, a licensed premises is obliged to provide free tap water to someone that walks in and asks for nothing else. Is that fair?

The facility to make a reasonable charge for labour, washing-up etc. and a successful business would, presumably, implement a sensible level of balance.

certainly, but in the grand scheme of things, how much, in monetary terms, is it, overall, to draw and serve a glass of water, and wash the glass up, after?

Archived