Burials at home, what do you think?

Why not have a body in the garden, after all, a body is only chemicals ... or is it?;

Walter White: Let's break it down. Hydrogen. What does that give us?

Gretchen Schwartz: We're looking at 63%.

Walter White: Sixty-three, that is a big bite. My next step's gotta be oxygen.

Gretchen Schwartz: Oxygen, 26%.

Walter White: Twenty-six. There you have your water.

Gretchen Schwartz: Carbon, 9%.

Walter White: Carbon, 9.

Gretchen Schwartz: For a total of 98%.

Walter White: Right.

Gretchen Schwartz: Nitrogen, 1.25%.

Walter White: One-point-two-five.

Gretchen Schwartz: That brings you to 99 and a quarter. Which only leaves you with the trace elements down where the magic happens.

Walter White: Oh, wait a minute. What about calcium? Calcium's not a trace. Got a whole skeleton to account for.

Gretchen Schwartz: You would think, right? Calcium's only 0.25%.

Walter White: What? That low? Seriously? Damn, I never would've thought that. Okay, so where does iron fit in.

Gretchen Schwartz: Iron. 0.00004%

Walter White: What? You can't have hemoglobin without iron.

Gretchen Schwartz: Apparently, it don't take take much. No doubt. Go figure.

Walter White: Sodium.

Gretchen Schwartz: Sodium, 0.04%. Phosphorus, 0.19%.

Walter White: Point-one-nine. There we go. So the whole thing adds up to... 99.888042%. We are 0.111958%. Shy.

Gretchen Schwartz: Supposedly that's everything.

Walter White: Yeah? I don't know, it just... it seems like something's missing, doesn't it? There's got to be more to a human being than that.

Gretchen Schwartz: What about the soul?

Walter White: The soul? There's nothing but chemistry here.

Is this why people worry about such things? I doubt it as the average person hasn't the foggiest idea about the constituents of a body (forget false teeth, pacemakers and the like). :)

I don't like the idea unless it is in a designated area that is recognised as a burial zone (for example on a big estate or such). I worry that if it became commonplace to do this than people would see it as a cheap alternative and in no-time we'd have bodies everywhere.

Much better to just get cremated, after donating organs of course, and solve the issue that way.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Standard burials are not cheap.

After watching the news yesterday I have been giving this a lot of thought and wondered what other people think.

Would you like to bury your loved one in your garden/land? or do you think it not right and prefer the more conventional burial/cremation?

Personally my mind is not made up and I can see for and against, its quite nice to have your loved one close in a place that they loved to be, but what if one day you had to sell the property, not a lot of people would want someone buried in the garden :|

What do you think?

They do it in the Cook Islands. It was strange seeing tombs in people's front gardens.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Standard burials are not cheap.

That depends how you set about being buried.

However, burying grandma in the back garden risks all sorts of problems with contamination of the ground and possibly the water supply and, if she died of something contagious then you could wipe out the parish.

That depends how you set about being buried.

However, burying grandma in the back garden risks all sorts of problems with contamination of the ground and possibly the water supply and, if she died of something contagious then you could wipe out the parish.

To be more precise, the cost of the burial ground is extortionate.

i would rather be buried in the back garden than a graveyard but it wouldnt be practical because of neighbours. It reminds me of an old story where a old man buried his wife up top of garden and the neighbours complained and tried to have her removed. can't remember if she did remain there though.

You're assuming you and your descendants will always own the same property, might work for the aristocratic types with big estates but for your average home owner then no. Not unless every time you move you're going to exhume the body and move it with you.

I don`t think the OP is assuming that.

OP but what if one day you had to sell the property,

To be more precise, the cost of the burial ground is extortionate.

What percentage of a £2.5k funeral is the cost of the burial ground. Anyone actually know?

Archived