'Impact' Exercise and Ruined Joints

This is not what a lot of dieticians now believe.

Yes. eg-

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/healthy-eating/the-full-fat-diet-is-not-as-unhealthy-as-you-think-30468627.html

Oh...and I should stress that, by 'low fat', I was talking about foods naturally low in fat e.g. unprocessed vegetables, fruit etc- not the processed 'low fat' junk sold in supermarkets, eg yoghurts with the fat extracted and replaced by sugars/hfcs and other 'alternatives'.

I have recently had issues with my hip joint and tendon due to running, but its not the running.. its my technique and my flat feet! When i run my feet go in and my ankles come out..and i stick my ass out.. yeah picture that! Over the years this has caused me to use different muscles first and put pressure on my hips,

Im under a physio at the minute and eventually once my tendon is relaxed and my muscles are retrained to work in the right order.. (various stretches, lunges and bridges every hour) I will then have to use insoles in my trainers to support my feet properly.

Basically i dont think any exercise is bad.. as long as its done correctly and you're wearing the right gear, dont go running a 5k in plimsoles.. get proper running trainers that support your feet, lifting weights.. get guidance on your posture and stance. Listen to your body, if its painful (and I dont mean the DOMS) you're doing it wrong.

I think within reason, anything is possible, as long as the changes you are making are gradual, so that your body has time to adapt to the increased workload. Listening to your body and backing off if necessary is key, especially if you're on the more senior side.

I'd wager that the majority of the people in that study with heart damage didn't train properly for the distance.

Archived