Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

IM pleased that Market Tavern staying but is planned for it ? Would make a great information centre for Sheffield Castle history. The castle remains were under the market and you had to ask someone to visit to see what was left of it, sad to see the market go was a great help to me when I lived at Sheffield but the building was in a poor state. Anyway best get me and the camera down their soon.

Hard to believe there's an old medieval castle under it somewhere!!! Wonder if they'll find much?

Went down to see some of wall when I was in junior school over 30 years ago...didn't look much to a teenager but looking forward to see what has survived

Hard to believe there's an old medieval castle under it somewhere!!! Wonder if they'll find much?

they have already found part or parts of the wall to the castle years ago they used to open it to the public but it's only a tiny bit , left. it was all robbed in victoran times to build houses the same as hadrians wall went the same way xx

• 4 months later...

a friend of mine were discussing nostalgic old Sheffield. the topic of the now near demolished castle market and we both think a new castle market should be built on the site a single storey building with an open air market next door like the old rag and tag, here in chesterfield we have an open air market with stalls already set up covered with canvas roofing way can't Sheffield do the same, and get rid of the moor foot market from what I have seen of it is half empty, closed stalls due to massive rents a complete waste of money give Sheffield what it want's. I often go to Norfolk and the open air market in norwhich is always packed, with visitors and traders there are no empty stalls and you can get any thing from bolts of cloth, mobile phone cases to wet fish. I can spend a couple of hours strolling round there then going across the road for dinner or high tea. bring back some of the old days. and forget office blocks. one more thing we need another railway station, and airport that can cope with 747s or A33s. but would have to knock down half of handsworth for it :thumbsup:

a friend of mine were discussing nostalgic old Sheffield. the topic of the now near demolished castle market and we both think a new castle market should be built on the site a single storey building with an open air market next door like the old rag and tag, here in chesterfield we have an open air market with stalls already set up covered with canvas roofing way can't Sheffield do the same, and get rid of the moor foot market from what I have seen of it is half empty, closed stalls due to massive rents a complete waste of money give Sheffield what it want's. I often go to Norfolk and the open air market in norwhich is always packed, with visitors and traders there are no empty stalls and you can get any thing from bolts of cloth, mobile phone cases to wet fish. I can spend a couple of hours strolling round there then going across the road for dinner or high tea. bring back some of the old days. and forget office blocks. one more thing we need another railway station, and airport that can cope with 747s or A33s. but would have to knock down half of handsworth for it :thumbsup:

Christ this has been done to death the old market area was and still is a dump rife with crime the new moor market is single storey and next to an open air market so I'm not sure what more you want you can get wet fish and mobile phone cases from the Moor.