Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

I have never said it was IN the city centre. My original reply which has been wonderfully sidetracked was in response to this post:

The end of London Road is just one road crossing over from the end of the Moorfoot area which from YOUR own map is still within the CITY CENTRE boundries.

If something is on the opposite side of the road to something else is that not in most normal people's opinon virtually within the same area. Sunwin house was virtually on The Moor. Hallam Uni is virtually accross from the Train Station.

*virtually* Nearby / Imminent / Close / Essentially / Almost / In effect /

close to / Next to.........whatever you like.

Now, im not arguing the toss over this point any more. You seem to be defining the city centre as one central point from which everything flows out from. Im not. Im defining the word "city centre" as what it is "The central part or main business and commercial area of a city.

When someone says to you my office is in Leeds City Centre do you assume that they talk of one sq mile of Headrow and Gr George St and dismisss the rest of it? I dont think so. Are you really defining Sheffield City Centre as merely peace gardens, surrey street and union street?

London Road is not in and has never been in the City centre .

As you say London Road isnt in the city centre using the definitions of the area within the ring road, which is the method used by Wiki, or by using the S1 postcode or by using the method as denoted by the Council. Your reasoning is bonkers, close to is not the same as being actually in.

Nope ive said the city centre or centre of the city is measured from the Town Hall, which it is. Annbaker agrees. This was in response to suggestions the centre was either on the Moor or in Haymarket, both of which lie on the borders.

That is just a single point as opposed to an area which makes up the city centre, which was quite obvious, but you are making a meal out of. I will repeat again if you want to talk about sheffield city centre, then it comprises either the area within the ring road, the S1 postcode or as the council defines it as the 11 cultural quarters. Clearly that does not include just the town hall and peace gardens. If you bothered to look at the map then youd see quite clearly the area covered by the city centre.

None of these include London Road. If you want to pretend it's in the city centre then thats up to you.

Edited by 999tigger

Is it ? :huh:

That would mean London Road is virtually in the city centre too. Wouldn't it ? :help:

Isn't it?

What are we saying defines the city centre? Are we arguing that its a 50 yd radius from the town hall and thats it because by that logic Castle Market was on "the very edge of town" as well

As you say London Road isnt in the city centre using the definitions of the area within the ring road, which is the method used by Wiki, or by using the S1 postcode or by using the method as denoted by the Council. Your reasoning is bonkers, close to is not the same as being actually in.

Nope ive said the city centre or centre of the city is measured from the Town Hall, which it is. Annbaker agrees. This was in response to suggestions the centre was either on the Moor or in Haymarket, both of which lie on the borders.

That is just a single point as opposed to an area which makes up the city centre, which was quite obvious, but you are making a meal out of. I will repeat again if you want to talk about sheffield city centre, then it comprises either the area within the ring road, the S1 postcode or as the council defines it as the 11 cultural quarters. Clearly that does not include just the town hall and peace gardens. If you bothered to look at the map then youd see quite clearly the area covered by the city centre.

None of these include London Road. If you want to pretend it's in the city centre then thats up to you.

Within the ring road is a bit bonkers, that puts the train station out of town & the ring road has only been completed for a few years. Wikipedia is not authoritative, anybody can edit it. S1 postcode is the city centre, imo.

It looks like the council have different ideas & want to shut down the north east part of the city centre around Haymarket. Their plan isn't even properly funded is it? Only got 1 million out of the 5? Didn't it cost 60 or something for the new market? Haymarket is just going to be a hole for years to come. There's no castle left, it was demolished, it's just rubble & foundations of interest to archaeologists, but not many other people. I hope me & cuttsie are both wrong and the plan is a success, but it seems unrealistic.

Don't get me wrong, Castle Market & a few other buildings around there do need demolishing, they're ugly 1960s concrete monstrosities & Castle Market was never going to have decent disabled access, needed a lot more than a lick of paint, but it is the traditional market area. I like the Co-Op building too, think it should be saved & used. They could've knocked Wilkos down & that whole block first, or further up where Home Bargains is, built a new market there & then demolished Castle Market. Too late now.

Edited by anywebsite

Within the ring road is a bit bonkers, that puts the train station out of town & the ring road has only been completed for a few years. Wikipedia is not authoritative, anybody can edit it. S1 postcode is the city centre, imo.

It looks like the council have different ideas & want to shut down the north east part of the city centre around Haymarket. Their plan isn't even properly funded is it? Only got 1 million out of the 5? Didn't it cost 60 or something for the new market? Haymarket is just going to be a hole for years to come. There's no castle left, it was demolished, it's just rubble & foundations of interest to archaeologists, but not many other people. I hope me & cuttsie are both wrong and the plan is a success, but it seems unrealistic.

Don't get me wrong, Castle Market & a few other buildings around there do need demolishing, they're ugly 1960s concrete monstrosities & Castle Market was never going to have decent disabled access, needed a lot more than a lick of paint, but it is the traditional market area. I like the Co-Op building too, think it should be saved & used. They could've knocked Wilkos down & that whole block first, or further up where Home Bargains is, built a new market there & then demolished Castle Market. Too late now.

The council has zoned the city centre, the Haymarket is not in retail part of the centre but that doesn't mean it's not in the centre anymore. They are intending for it to be offices, bars and flats, I think quite rightly the council are restricting their funding to the centre piece, the park which developers will build around. There will be a lot developments announced but they'll all be pretty dull though, office space is not exciting.

We are not wrong but irrelevant to the Town Planners who only see shiny new centres but forget the psychological effects that occur when they destroy vast areas of traditional Street life and trading.

We are not wrong but irrelevant to the Town Planners who only see shiny new centres but forget the psychological effects that occur when they destroy vast areas of traditional Street life and trading.

The psychological effects? You talk about the demolition of Castle Market as if it's the second blitz, thousands of people mentally scarred by the destruction of their beautiful concrete monstrosity.

Your whinges are based on nothing other than the fact that you used to work in a building that is due to come down and you can't come to terms with your past disappearing into the rubble. Tough. It's only you and a few others stuck in the past.

The psychological effects? You talk about the demolition of Castle Market as if it's the second blitz, thousands of people mentally scarred by the destruction of their beautiful concrete monstrosity.

Your whinges are based on nothing other than the fact that you used to work in a building that is due to come down and you can't come to terms with your past disappearing into the rubble. Tough. It's only you and a few others stuck in the past.

Would you include the stone sniffers in your summing up of the few others.

By the way how is that any one who disagree's with you is a whinger .