Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

It's still earmarked for demolition in a future pie in the sky development project - this was always the case, it's just that the council were renting offices while a building they owned sat idle. The demolition was always pie in the sky it's just now the council are saving money on not renting.

Is there any particular reason why the building SHOULD be demolished?

I did work experience in this building and I couldn't see anything wrong with it. It seemed a perfectly functional building.

It would be stupid to pull down a perfectly good building just because "it doesn't look very nice".

Now if the running/maintenance costs are much higher than replacing it, that's a different issue (most likely a big factor for getting rid of Castle Market).

I did work experience in this building and I couldn't see anything wrong with it. It seemed a perfectly functional building.

It would be stupid to pull down a perfectly good building just because "it doesn't look very nice".

I agree and personally I think it looks fine, and as you say its still perfectly functional. It had or still has a bar, restaurant and a full sized squash court in the basement. I much prefer it to that concrete monstrosity called Park Hill which did need demolishing.

It needs listing as it a rare step pyramid design built with bricks.

Do you honestly think we need steel workers? How do you think steel is made now compared to the 60's, same labour intensive ingot casting process or fully automated highly efficient continuous casting process? Just an illustration that jobs have changed...
Today!!

700 To be made redundant at TATA STEELWORKS in Rotherham.

Do you honestly think that this Country does not need those men in full employment.

Or can they all go on to be civil servants .

Edited by cuttsie

Today!!

700 To be made redundant at TATA STEELWORKS in Rotherham.

Do you honestly think that this Country does not need those men in full employment.

Or can they all go on to be civil servants .

Not with how civil servants are being kicked out of jobs...

Not with how civil servants are being kicked out of jobs...

I was replying to bargepole who asked "do you honestly think we need steelworkers " implying that the civil service is much more an important occupation , an implication that is obviously false due to all the recent exposures country wide where the civil service has neglected its duty to the young and old among our society.

My own experience of social workers has been very negative in the past.

Back to the Market .

Now if the running/maintenance costs are much higher than replacing it, that's a different issue (most likely a big factor for getting rid of Castle Market).

Well it needed a multi-million pound refurbishment scheme to get it up to standards so it can't have been in brilliant shape.

IF the council's plan comes off and the retail focus switches to that end of the city centre and big retailers return to the city the moorfoot building sits on the next logical development opportunity for retailers. I don't think the council will actually demolish the building until it's financially advantageous for them, although the original reason for the plan to demolish the building is that it was not fully utilised until the council decided to move their own departments in there, so there is clearly a question of how appropriate the building is as modern office space - never been in so I wouldn't know.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

went to town today,not been in the old market area for 2-3 years,what a mess,10am drunken people,fowl and bad language ,awfull and that's from the crucible area to cooplands,whatever must it be like at night ?,I pity the poor souls having to put up with this,what will the visitors think when they visit the theartre area? about time something was sorted,not going again until I know its safe to do so,why is it like that? its a disgrace.

Council have been moving businesses out of that area. Supposed to becoming the old Sheffield Castle area. I believe archeologists are waiting for the green light to go in. But as with all things Sheffield Council there are changes to plans and delays. So area has become very run down.

If it ever gets done it will be a great assett to the City.