Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

This was featured on Look North last night. Looks interesting, and will open up the river area. Sheffield is one of the few places I know with a central river, which makes next to nothing of it.

It could be excellent if executed well.

This is so true. It should have been done as far back as the 1970 s or 80 s.

A riverside setting is always an attraction.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that Sheffield University along with a developer? are taking an interest in the area.

How good would it be to raze the old market eyesore to the ground and make it people friendly whilst leading into a more compact and thriving shopping area.

The listed buildings could be made into offices and pavement cafes around a smaller version of the peace gardens could lead directly to the canal basin.

What interest would a university have in building a shopping area? Universities are interested in students and education. So I suspect your shops might be student flats and yet another expansion in the number of students taking over the city centre.

What interest would a university have in building a shopping area? Universities are interested in students and education. So I suspect your shops might be student flats and yet another expansion in the number of students taking over the city centre.

It isn't going to remain a shopping area, in case you haven't noticed, city centre retail locations aren't exactly in short supply (especially if sevenstones ever happens).

What is wrong with having students in that area? Better than the run down ghetto it is now right?

What has gone has gone. The past is not going to come back to the present.

If Sheffield council wants to live in the middle ages they should call some Hollywood producer.

Even if they find some bits and pieces from the past it is not going to make any difference to how we live our lives today.

They throw millions at this but want to save 400.000 taking away all south Yorkshire pensioners travel privileges on the train.

It isn't going to remain a shopping area, in case you haven't noticed, city centre retail locations aren't exactly in short supply (especially if sevenstones ever happens).

What is wrong with having students in that area? Better than the run down ghetto it is now right?

Perhaps you have never experienced living or visiting a so called ghetto, I suspect that if you had then you would not be comparing the Exchange Street, Market areas with New York, L.A. Detroit City etc, All Ghetto,s have residents who live close together [sometimes making their area vibrant with Street life and human close contact]

As far away as you can get from Sheffield's traditional trading area.

What has gone has gone. The past is not going to come back to the present.

If Sheffield council wants to live in the middle ages they should call some Hollywood producer.

Even if they find some bits and pieces from the past it is not going to make any difference to how we live our lives today.

They throw millions at this but want to save 400.000 taking away all south Yorkshire pensioners travel privileges on the train.

400,000 South Yorkshire pensioners on a train? Where are they going?

Sorry misread that. But do 400,000 pensioners want to use the train?

400,000 South Yorkshire pensioners on a train? Where are they going?

Sorry misread that. But do 400,000 pensioners want to use the train?

They are saving peanuts by taking away huge benefits from todays people.

They are throwing away millions by digging up some old bits and pieces that may be cute but are in comparison meaningless to todays people in todays world.

Universities need money, they've facing ever decreasing cuts from government funding so I wouldn't be surprised if many of them start looking to other avenues to get extra funding.

I expect those that continue to thrive will be the ones who seek to diversify, rather than just concentrate on eeking out money from students.

Universities need money, they've facing ever decreasing cuts from government funding so I wouldn't be surprised if many of them start looking to other avenues to get extra funding.

I expect those that continue to thrive will be the ones who seek to diversify, rather than just concentrate on eeking out money from students.

Exactly the University one of the biggest landowners in the city, and they always seem to be building something. I bet they have some pretty good in house skills for development now and as a university they are also adept at generating funding from government so will be an attractive partner for any organisation who has a project in the public interest.

On a side note I believe most of the student housing in Sheffield is privately held, I have no doubt that there will be student housing in that area, you'll probably find a few are already living in the flats above the current shops.

It's the Archaeology Department from University of Sheffield that is involved. The Head of Department is a prominent executive committee member of the Friends of Sheffield Castle.

I really think this could become like a smaller version of the York Museum Gardens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Museum_Gardens

---------- Post added 31-07-2014 at 21:19 ----------

Is there a way to upload a pdf on this site?

I've got some more detailed plans about this from SCC that I could put up, including a map and details of uncovering the River Sheaf to give it two waterfronts