Whay does a 'full service' entail for car

Although, my car passed its MOT, it hasn't had a full service since 2011, though it has had cam belt replaced, oil change two years ago, pollen filter, etc, etc. I have been quoted around 185 from local Sheffield Peugeot garage I always use. What will a full service entail, car safety, etc is very very important to me.

It depends on the manufacturer, but it's mostly oil and filter changes, plug changes if needed, break fluid change if indicated (extra cost), belt changes if indicated (may be extra cost).

It's not a safety check per se, although they will probably inform you of any safety issues that they happen to notice, it's more about the longevity of the vehicle and in particular the engine.

The manufacturers website probably details exactly what a full service will include.

There's usually a page, or a tablet in the manufacturers handbook detailing what service items need what attention at certain miledge/age of the vehicle.

You need to replace the oil and oil filter at least every 12 months as a bare minimum really.

It depends on the car, the manufacturer and which one of the approved service intervals you're on.

Look up the service schedule on the manufacturer website and work out from there what level of service the car has previously had or what level you think is due.

You also need to bear in mind that lots of things aren't covered in the service schedule because they don't form part of routine servicing, so for instance brake pads and discs are done when they need to be done, not at a set service interval.

there is an intermediate service and a full service if you have a service book it should tell you what it entails. and what kind of service it needs and at what miles or months

This is true. The problem is, garages will have their own interpretation of "what is" and "what is not" included in the full service that they do. Checking/adjusting valve tappits is one example. Changing brake fluid after a few years is another. They are in the hand book under the service details.

Archived