Dating James Dixon and Sons tray by catalog

I have a very old James Dixon & Sons tray. It measures about 24 inches handle to handle, and is very heavy. It has the Bugle with Flag, under it JD&S markings, under that 8506, and underneath it 20, under it is a symbol that looks like two back to back letter C's. I would love to know what this type of tray was used for, and how old it may be. It is very worn, and may not be worth a cracker, but that doesn't worry me. It is more about the history of it. Any advice on this is very much appreciated. I have mentioned this item in another post, and the moderator did offer some advice. I am hoping to cast a wider net here, and get some other information if possible. I am hoping someone has a catalog of JD&S items, if it exists. This tray is well worn, and appears to have a coating of sorts on the top of the tray, however the ornate engraving comes through. The underneath is plated silver, or appears to be. Thanks in advance.

I have a very old James Dixon & Sons tray. It measures about 24 inches handle to handle, and is very heavy. It has the Bugle with Flag, under it JD&S markings, under that 8506, and underneath it 20, under it is a symbol that looks like two back to back letter C's. I would love to know what this type of tray was used for, and how old it may be. It is very worn, and may not be worth a cracker, but that doesn't worry me. It is more about the history of it. Any advice on this is very much appreciated. I have mentioned this item in another post, and the moderator did offer some advice. I am hoping to cast a wider net here, and get some other information if possible. I am hoping someone has a catalog of JD&S items, if it exists. This tray is well worn, and appears to have a coating of sorts on the top of the tray, however the ornate engraving comes through. The underneath is plated silver, or appears to be. Thanks in advance.

I wish you had posted just a week ago as I recently donated an old catalog of James Dixons to Kelham Island Industrial Museum only a few days ago. If you live in sheffield go along to the museum with a good picture of your tray and I'm sure they will help you, if you are in another country just put Kelham Island Museum in your search and you will find a contact e-mail address.what kind of coating is on the top of the tray? It could be the silver plate has been polished away and now it's "Bare".

Lazarus, thank you for the reply. I am in New South Wales, Australia so I will contact the museum. To be honest it looks like it may have been coated in something years ago. I have tried to remove it, without scratching it, but it doesn't even dissolve with acetate. Can see scratches with silver underneath, but I dare not think about how it would turn out if I have to go up that path. It is a yellow colour, that cannot be too thick, as the engraving underneath is still displayed. The rear of the tray polished up ok for the age of it. Will try your suggestion and see if they can help me. Thank you.

Lazarus, thank you for the reply. I am in New South Wales, Australia so I will contact the museum. To be honest it looks like it may have been coated in something years ago. I have tried to remove it, without scratching it, but it doesn't even dissolve with acetate. Can see scratches with silver underneath, but I dare not think about how it would turn out if I have to go up that path. It is a yellow colour, that cannot be too thick, as the engraving underneath is still displayed. The rear of the tray polished up ok for the age of it. Will try your suggestion and see if they can help me. Thank you.

The yellow colour may Nickel, that may be the metal the tray is made of, if the silver plate has gone from the surface that could be because of excess cleaning over the years removing spills and such and the underside didn't get such harsh treatment as it was mainly placed on a table cloth. The silver plate wasn't very thick on these objects and was plated in Pennyweights now it's Microns the higher the Micron the thicker the plate, when I was working our best quality was 21 Microns. If there is a silver plater near to where you live it would only cost a few dollars to get it replated, could you tell me where in New South Wales do you live?

Archived