Do you take your cycle on the train?

There are no "official limits" or are there national rules.

Some train operators -TOCs bar cycles at all times.

Some allow cycles only when booked in advance.

Some allow cycles only on off peak services.

Often train are made of sets and each set has 2 spaces.

These are the RULES and always at the guards discretion.

Just one look at Cambridge station will explain why there are limits to cycle carriage.

From Sheffield:

East Midlands

London, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, Liverpool, Manchester, Norwich etc Reservations compulsory. Two cycle spaces per train.

East Midlands local services – all other routes Reservations not available. Two cycle spaces per train.

Northern

Reservations not available. Two cycle spaces per train

Cross Country

On all CrossCountry trains there are two cycle spaces which can be reserved and one further space for unreserved cycles.

TPE

Reservations recommended. Up to two cycle spaces per train.

Covered folding bikes nearly always go free of cost and restriction as they count as luggage.

Did you know that you can't even carry a tin of paint on a London bus?

That sounds a lot like an urban myth. This story (from 2008) says a woman wasn't allowed to carry a tin of paint on a bus by one driver but that the next driver didn't mind. LT explained it had to do with what drivers considered to be potential hazards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1040189/Woman-70-barred-bus-carrying-safety-hazard-paintpot.html

Two is the official limit, should people get stroppy, however a nice guard on a quiet train can, and normally will, use their discretion to allow more on.

I would have thought getting "stroppy" would just wind up the gaurd; I believe 2 per train is not a set rule, just a way of restricting cyles when its busy. Take you cycle on when its quiet, I have seen six on one train.

I suppose a lot has changed in 40 odd years.

My parents took their motorbikes on a train to travel to Landsend. That must have been about 40 years ago.

I took my mountain bike on a train last year to Hope (and rode the way back). I think there were 2 others down the other end, but it was a quiet train during the week. I purposely avoided rush hour, since I had a day off so was in no rush :)

Archived