Sheffield Ski Village On Fire Again Thread

If the place gets hit that many times there is obviously a flaw in the location and the security.

I am not saying dig a 10m moat around the place merely a 9m moat around the place with security onsite. The owners don't seem to learn.

Let's face it, the Ski Village is (was?) a stone's throw from Shirecliffe, Burngreave & Pitsmoor, & they employed little or no security. Sad to say, it was never unexpected that arson & vandalism might take place there.

Also, the Council never showed it any great regard - refusing expansion plans. And the approach through a broken-down industrial area & by a scrap-yard was never appealing. Something could've been done to smarten up the surrounding area, even maybe build a better access road.

Tragic to see a unique leisure facility like this, go down the pan. Seems likely that it's gone for good.

The place is closed and the business effectively broke and trying to claim from it's insurance. What makes you think that paying for security is a) possible, b) something they'd like to do?

No business likes to implement security but when there is risk you have to act. This is tantamount to gross or willful neglect. I can't see insurance covering this unless steps have been taken to reduce the risk.

If the place gets hit that many times there is obviously a flaw in the location and the security.

I am not saying dig a 10m moat around the place merely a 9m moat around the place with security onsite. The owners don't seem to learn.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you there.

When I moved to Sheffield I noticed how 'slack' their security was, especially at the top where the ski lift was. When I mean slack I mean wire fencing falling to bits and just laid on the floor.

After an incident a couple of years ago I mentioned this and low and behold nothing happened. Unfortunately if the place can't be bothered about the simplest security measures like a fence, then I am not surprised it has gone the way it has.

When stood at the top you could clearly see the path that people had taken to obviously get from top to bottom as a 'path' had been made. If you could see it at the top then I am sure that it could be seen from the bottom

• 1 month later...

We've had lots of 999 calls about this, but we've arrived at the scene now and it's a shed and a small part of the dry slope that's on fire. Two fire engines are their dealing with the blaze

Edited by SY Fire