Rembering World War One, where's the Queen?

How long ago does a war have to have been fought for us not to 'remember' it anymore? Battle of Waterloo, Hastings, Culloden ... what's the point?

Forgive me for sounding a bit cynical, but can anyone actually remember WW1?

Does anyone remember the Spanish flu pandemic which killed 50-100 million in 1918 ... possibly around five times the amount actually killed in WW1?

I can see the point a bit of 'remembering' if some people who actually fought in a war are still alive ... WW2 for instance, but that's about it.

All of my ancestors are currently dead, some fought in wars, some didn't ... do I remember them? No. Do I care? No. History ... people die, peacefully or otherwise.

It brings to mind the simple words 'Lest we forget'

I am the daughter of a WW1 soldier and the granddaughter of another. My dads first wife perished in the influenza epidemic whilst he was away. I will never allow the remembrance to die and have I hope passed on to my children and grandchildren the need to remember the debt we owe to these and others in other wars who shaped the country we live in today.

My 9 year old granddaughter wrote the following as part of her work on WW1 at school.

Bullets get shot as fast as cheetahs

Explosions kill the once beautiful land

Brave troops refuse to give in but then fall to the ground deceased with a torn sense of pride

Strong men dig their own graves by walking into no mans land

The guns whisper 'this is where you'll die'

The blue sky is full of ash and gases

Burning flesh is the only smell for miles

Soldiers believe all the other options are gone but to stay and fight

Well! a Big Service at Westminster, Cameron will be there job lot but not the Queen, she has sent Sonny boy Charlie along instead, what an Insult to the all the Fallen, well after all I can see her point, it's not that Importantant these people only LOST their lives fighting for KING AND COUNTRY, my God people need to look at this Arrogant Royal Family, if it hadn't have been for the Brave who fought and lost their lives there wouldn't be a Royal Family. I can't stand em.:rant::gag:

And which service will you be attending?

As it goes I am a royalist and I love everything about past and present royalty, they offer more than you could possibly imagine to our economy and as for the queen, for a woman at 87yrs old she is remarkable! I'm sure she will be doing her bit and she may be forgiven for not attending the ''Big Service' at Westminster...

I think you are missing the point about remembrance, whether it be on your own by a candle, or at a local church or at Westminster's BIG SERVICE it is the fact that someone takes some time out of their day to reflect..

Give the old lady a break.

The prevalence of English across the globe has nothing to do with our victories in the war, but more to do with the legacy of our Empire, the Industrial Revolution and modern America.

I have always considered that the prevalence of english globally is more because of the internet and that americans speak "english" If the americans spoke french then the language of the internet would have been french and therefore the global language would have been french.

Discuss :)

I have always considered that the prevalence of english globally is more because of the internet and that americans speak "english" If the americans spoke french then the language of the internet would have been french and therefore the global language would have been french.

English was the dominant language in the world long before the internet and for that matter long before America became a world power.

English was the global lingua france long before the Internet. Something to do with having the largest empire ever seen in the world, on which the sun never sets I think - when a quarter of the population of the world are administered by a common language it gives it a very large foothold that is difficult to remove.

How long ago does a war have to have been fought for us not to 'remember' it anymore? Battle of Waterloo, Hastings, Culloden

Like many people older than their mid 40s, I knew people who fought in the Great War and their service and the sacrifice of those who didn't survive should be remembered and honoured.

Well! a Big Service at Westminster, Cameron will be there job lot but not the Queen, she has sent Sonny boy Charlie along instead, what an Insult to the all the Fallen, well after all I can see her point, it's not that Importantant these people only LOST their lives fighting for KING AND COUNTRY, my God people need to look at this Arrogant Royal Family, if it hadn't have been for the Brave who fought and lost their lives there wouldn't be a Royal Family. I can't stand em.:rant::gag:

I'm pretty sure she would have been there if feeling well or not booked in for some other public service.

---------- Post added 04-08-2014 at 18:06 ----------

English was the dominant language in the world long before the internet and for that matter long before America became a world power.

Well, I know English is the 2nd language in India and other commonwealth countries, but a lot of foreigners I hear speaking English tend to do it with an American accent. Seems to me they've been picking a lot of it up from american TV programmes.

Reminds me when I went to see some friends in Norway, I picked up quite a lot of their language from watching subtitles on TV.

And which service will you be attending?

As it goes I am a royalist and I love everything about past and present royalty, they offer more than you could possibly imagine to our economy and as for the queen, for a woman at 87yrs old she is remarkable! I'm sure she will be doing her bit and she may be forgiven for not attending the ''Big Service' at Westminster...

I think you are missing the point about remembrance, whether it be on your own by a candle, or at a local church or at Westminster's BIG SERVICE it is the fact that someone takes some time out of their day to reflect..

Give the old lady a break.

Some of you lot wear blinkers, give the old lady a break, your having a laugh, what about the starving old ladies, kids, ect, who were starving at the time of ww1, and I don't think the royals were or in ww2 were they on rashions like the rest of the country, take them blinkers off and look at this pampered spoilt lot which are and always have took the **** out of this country. The spoilt lot are attending the services because they have too, and it's the only thing they do, wow! real grafters I feel sorry for em.:gag:

Some of you lot wear blinkers, give the old lady a break, your having a laugh, what about the starving old ladies, kids, ect, who were starving at the time of ww1, and I don't think the royals were or in ww2 were they on rashions like the rest of the country, take them blinkers off and look at this pampered spoilt lot which are and always have took the **** out of this country. The spoilt lot are attending the services because they have too, and it's the only thing they do, wow! real grafters I feel sorry for em.:gag:
Take your stupid leftie posts elsewhere!

I thought it was Leif Ericson who introduced the internet to the Americas in the eleventh century, courtesy of an early clockwork 'H1 Spectrum' made by John Harrison? Leif was Norweigan/Icelandic. ;)

Archived