Hourly vs Monthly pay

I have worked both, being paid for every hour that I worked, and just a set figure for the month.

A really different way of payment; why would anyone in their right mind not want paying extra for longer hours.

Is this a working class attitude? Do the hourly paid workers understand what it is like not to get paid for overtime?

I don't quite understand what you're asking. Are you saying that working for a monthly salary is a working class attitude, or isn't?

If you get paid by the hour for many years, and then change to a job with a set salary, you would resent extra hours. It is teachers doing all the extras that they do that brought it to the front of my mind. A friend of mind thinks that they dont do many extra hours.

If you get paid by the hour for many years, and then change to a job with a set salary, you would resent extra hours. It is teachers doing all the extras that they do that brought it to the front of my mind. A friend of mind thinks that they dont do many extra hours.

I get paid a monthly salary, if I were to do overtime I would get paid extra, in what world would anyone work extra for free?

I get paid a monthly salary, if I were to do overtime I would get paid extra, in what world would anyone work extra for free?

The academic world for one, although this is sort of compensated by a lot of freedom in setting your own hours. So diligent time-keepers can end up working 60-80 hours in peak-weeks (end of semester for example, or coming up to a research deadline) and then compensate by working 20-30 hours in other weeks.

Teachers? They don't get paid any extra or any time back for parents evening for example.

Many salaried employee's are 'expected' to work over time for free.

Many others aren't. It really depends on where you work.

Archived