Hourly vs Monthly pay

Many salaried employee's are 'expected' to work over time for free.

Many others aren't. It really depends on where you work.

I know people who seem to be paid well as fixed salaried supervisors but when you take into consideration the amount of extra hours they often are made to do then per hour it works out to be pretty poor.

Is it a world with bad contract t&c, if so you can keep it. :|

Sorry BioTechPete, I am just going to assume you work at a University and will shamelessly answer this from my perspective as an academic:

Pay is poor, work rate is incredibly high, students are an amazing pain in the backside at times, conducting research can be thoroughly frustrating and often support is far to be found, management/HR and so on are usually rubbish and have unrealistic demands.

But you know what? I wouldn't change it for any commercial post in the world unless they pay me stupid money. Finding that one breakthrough in your field is incredibly rewarding, flying around the world meeting thoroughly interesting people wherever you go, being responsible for broadening a student's view on a complicated topic and helping them achieve a degree in something valuable. Academic life isn't about T&Cs, it isn't about material reward, it is about those immensely huge peaks of excitement and joy that intersperse the massive boring valleys of the mundane, frustrating and sometimes devastating.

Sorry BioTechPete, I am just going to assume you work at a University and will shamelessly answer this from my perspective as an academic:

Pay is poor, work rate is incredibly high, students are an amazing pain in the backside at times, conducting research can be thoroughly frustrating and often support is far to be found, management/HR and so on are usually rubbish and have unrealistic demands.

But you know what? I wouldn't change it for any commercial post in the world unless they pay me stupid money. Finding that one breakthrough in your field is incredibly rewarding, flying around the world meeting thoroughly interesting people wherever you go, being responsible for broadening a student's view on a complicated topic and helping them achieve a degree in something valuable. Academic life isn't about T&Cs, it isn't about material reward, it is about those immensely huge peaks of excitement and joy that intersperse the massive boring valleys of the mundane, frustrating and sometimes devastating.

Hmmmmmmmm yeeeeeah, I think I'm going to stick with the stupid money side of things.

My contract simply states 'hours as required for the role' so basically I have no choice.

I thought the working time agreement forbid contracts over a 48hr week.

I believe Company's have to keep records of hours worked by all employees.

I have worked both, being paid for every hour that I worked, and just a set figure for the month.

A really different way of payment; why would anyone in their right mind not want paying extra for longer hours.

Is this a working class attitude? Do the hourly paid workers understand what it is like not to get paid for overtime?

Throughly unclear OP. Why is it anything to do with the working class?

Many jobs especially the professions do not pay overtime. It comes with the territory amd the salary tends to be much higher than say a secretaries who will probably get paid overtime.

If an individual finds the salary does not make up for the amount of unpaid overtime they work then they are free to go and find another employer. Plenty of people in the city get very large salaries and will work till 10pm plus most weekends becayse their basic salary is so substantial.

I get paid a monthly salary, if I were to do overtime I would get paid extra, in what world would anyone work extra for free?

Yeah, the only way we get paid overtime is if we go in extra at the weekend and claim it. Normally we are offered hours or cash for weekend work. We can't have a day off one week and then come in for a day at the weekend for additional money. Any overtime we work Mon to Fri we accrue additional time which we can take off at a later date. Personally, I always prefer to be in credit timewise in case some emergency crops up or I just feel like a days holiday without breaking into my annual leave entitlement. A lot of people work short days and then go chasing hours to make up their minimum hours per month. I'd rather be on top of my hours anyday.

Throughly unclear OP. Why is it anything to do with the working class?

Working class, if there still is such a catagory, meaning lowly paid. Its just my own experience, and I consider myself working class.

Archived