Hourly vs Monthly pay

Working class, if there still is such a catagory, meaning lowly paid. Its just my own experience, and I consider myself working class.

Care to try making your point again?

Is it that if you are lowly paid and previously worked in a job where you were paid overtime, then you would be very unhappy to move to a job where overtime was not paid?

If thats the case, then all things being equal wouldnt everyone be unhappy moving from paid to unpaid overtime irrespective of class?

If you said to the cleaner that they wouldnt be expected to do unpaid overtime, but their salary would be 2 or 3 times as much, then I doubt they would complain.

Sorry BioTechPete, I am just going to assume you work at a University and will shamelessly answer this from my perspective as an academic:

Pay is poor, work rate is incredibly high, students are an amazing pain in the backside at times, conducting research can be thoroughly frustrating and often support is far to be found, management/HR and so on are usually rubbish and have unrealistic demands.

But you know what? I wouldn't change it for any commercial post in the world unless they pay me stupid money. Finding that one breakthrough in your field is incredibly rewarding, flying around the world meeting thoroughly interesting people wherever you go, being responsible for broadening a student's view on a complicated topic and helping them achieve a degree in something valuable. Academic life isn't about T&Cs, it isn't about material reward, it is about those immensely huge peaks of excitement and joy that intersperse the massive boring valleys of the mundane, frustrating and sometimes devastating.

You are correct in your assumption but at the moment I don't think my perspective is as positive as yours.

---------- Post added 04-08-2014 at 19:59 ----------

Hmmmmmmmm yeeeeeah, I think I'm going to stick with the stupid money side of things.

I do at least have a very generous final salary pension scheme :D

---------- Post added 04-08-2014 at 20:00 ----------

I thought the working time agreement forbid contracts over a 48hr week.

I believe Company's have to keep records of hours worked by all employees.

Nobody keeps a record of my hours, just my outputs.

I have worked both, being paid for every hour that I worked, and just a set figure for the month.

A really different way of payment; why would anyone in their right mind not want paying extra for longer hours.

Is this a working class attitude? Do the hourly paid workers understand what it is like not to get paid for overtime?

I get your drift I too have done both, hourly & monthly but in my monthly pay if I worked say an extra hour a day, I could take a flexi day. If I worked Saturday or Sunday I got overtime, what I did miss though was "Bull Week" :):)

It seems Denomis has a job and Biotechpete has a career.

I think thats what it boils down to. Working long hours above the contracted ones comes with the territory. Most people know thats the situation as they join, but the basic salary or career propsects take that into account.

Another area where you might get this is agency staff v permanent staff, although its not always guaranteed that agency staff will be paid every hour.

Archived