Fantasy Island (Skegness) on the brink

What!!! its not about being too classy... It's just a dump! so is blackpool! they're just nasty places that need a lot of work doing on them to make them a more appealing place to go...

Many people who visit come from what is perceived as "dumps" anyway. Any improvement would probably reduce the numbers through price hikes because of improvements. Overall Skeggy generally caters for a specific catchment, low income families, stag n hen nights who are unconcerned about airs and graces..they just want a cheap uncomplicated break that caters to their needs. Skeggy n Blackpool cater for that, no amount of paint or new bed linen is likely to change it.

Anyway, peoples tastes are changing. Off shore budget holidays are having an impact on coastal tourism, not to mention our weather. More likely that's the reason they maybe struggling, simple competition.

Mablethorpe's great, though. Still stuck in a 1950s time warp, but in a good way. There's no money there, but it's cared for by people who love it. And the beach is idyllic ...

I agree on Mablethorpe, reminds you of seaside holidays as a kid, I think they still have some of the same prizes in the vending machines from 1975, brilliant.

I just think there are some absolutely beautiful places to take the family to in the UK without having to visit the same old places..

And it's not about money either! If you look for the right deals you will find some brilliant bargains.

Last year we went away with another family couple for a week, there was 4 adults and 2 children, we got a cottage for £310 split between us, in the school holidays!! in Ilfracombe, the petrol for the journey there and back and the travelling we did whilst there cost me and the OH about £150, it was self catering so we went shopping at Aldi for condiments and tinned foods etc. before we left Sheff and we only bought local fish and veg whilst there. The kids LOVED it, we went visiting all the nearest towns, castles and seaside towns like Woolacombe, it was a jam packed week of fun and activities for both kids and parents.

I am a caravan owner at Ingoldmells at Vicors Points and av been for a while.. The best thing to happen there would be for Fantasy Island to close and let all the Chavs,single mothers with a 1000 kids (non that they look after) and groups of yobs go elsewhere ... During the six weeks holiday it becomes unbearable with these layabouts and the amount of litter they produce is disgusting... The best time at Skeg is term time when it's quiet with all the caravan owners instead of the renters that give this place a bad name!!

Too many southerners down there for my liking, everyone to there own but you wouldn't see me slagging a place like you did, kid's seeing that would be mortified...
so not liking people is ok, not liking places is not?

Archived