Are banks fit for purpose?

My (now) wife did it differently. Found a job via the university, still in Sheffield and carried on living like a student in a house share. A year later she bought a house (although that wouldn't be so easy these days).

This is what a lot of people do. I know London's a bit different but practically every single person I know under 30 lives in a shared house. Even some of the couples I know lived in shared houses.

My g/son has gone thro' Uni and has just finished a year's teacher training qualification.

Thoughout this time he has worked, at times with 3 part time jobs to get some money.

He has now almost £35K student debt at the age of 24.

He has managed to get a teaching post about 160 miles from home and starts at the end of this month.

He's found somewhere to live but needs £1200 to pay rent, fees etc.

He went to his bank, where he has had an account for several years, to ask for a loan.

Initially he was accepted by the guy on the front desk but when the manager was consulted he was turned down.

The reason: he hadn't started the job and they couldn't be sure he could repay the loan,even though he produced his contract and the timetable of his lessons.

So , he might not take the job they said!!!

How about bringing your G/dad along to act as guarantor???

I'm an adult he said I can't do that.

Sorry, cheerio, and that was that.

As it turned out I have lent him the money, I can't afford to give it.

What has really ****** me off is: what would he have done if I was unable to to that for him? He'd not been able to take the job and would have wasted years of study, hardwork and joined the 18-25 year old unemployed list.

I am f....g mad.

The bank is the Nationwide.

Are banks fit for purpose? Of course they are.

They may not be fit for your purpose, davyboy. I would suggest that your purpose is not inline with that of the bank's.

In the early 1970's.I was in a similar position.

I had my first teaching job ready to start in September.

I went into the Halifax and got a £5500 mortgage on the strength of a letter from my Head Teacher.

Bought a nice house in Crookes with it.

How times change !!!!!

Banks are very fit for purpose.

Their own purpose that is.

Just wait until they force us to go cashless.

and don't even mention subcutaneous chips.

That should be interesting down the chippy.

Buying chips with chips.:huh:

Better late than never, Tommo68.

late ???

Hope you haven't incurred too much debt in the time it took you to work this out.

Worked it out years ago.

I also decided years ago that other than the fees owed to utility providers, which I pay when due, I prefer to live without debt. So I have no debt.

Very few people are 'forced' to live beyond their means in the UK so being in debt is usually just a matter of life-style choices.

late ???

Worked it out years ago.

I also decided years ago that other than the fees owed to utility providers, which I pay when due, I prefer to live without debt. So I have no debt.

Very few people are 'forced' to live beyond their means in the UK so being in debt is usually just a matter of life-style choices.

You don't know what you're on about.

Archived