What's the point in spouting political prose on here?

How many people post on a forum with the idea that they are going to convert someone to their way of thinking?

Anyone who does is going to be sadly disappointed.

Precisely.

I have seen one or two change their minds about somethings, but in several years, that ain't much!

As for the OP, I think it is just what we would talk about in the pub.

It occurs to me that whatever political persuasion you are affiliated with, if you come one the forum and go on about your favourite political affiliation (or not), then it's bound to attract vehement opposing opinions. You're never going to agree, so what's the point? Unless of course you're someone who loves confrontation and argument (or a troll).

Got my tin hat handy....Going to hide in the Anderson shelter now.....

Yes, complete waste of time. In the finish you end up posting for the benefit of those of the same political stripe as yourself.

Glad your parole hearing went well by the way. :hihi:

It occurs to me that whatever political persuasion you are affiliated with, if you come one the forum and go on about your favourite political affiliation (or not), then it's bound to attract vehement opposing opinions. You're never going to agree, so what's the point? Unless of course you're someone who loves confrontation and argument (or a troll).

Two things, you got one right:

1) To change and persuade public opinion

2) Trolling

Political debate is good, healthy for democracy. I dont engage in any real political talk on here though as i dont like being insulted and bullied for having a different point of view to someone else.

Who's 'bedders'???

Bedrock, at a guess.

---------- Post added 08-08-2014 at 12:48 ----------

Because politics seems to 'invite' the most argument, which everyone knows nobody will ever win, or come out on top. It just seems a bit pointless to me. Why start an argument that you know you're never going to win?

Actually that's wrong. People do win arguments on here by pointing out that other people's arguments are factually incorrect or whatever. The person or persons whose arguments are wrong may not accept that but to others their arguments are proven to be wrong.

In any case I still don't see why debating politics is any more a waste of time than debating which is the best film, band, football team, taxi service, Indian restaurant, means of transport, etc. It's subjective and a good thing to debate.

It's also a bit strange that a moderator of a debating forum is opposed to debating.

Bedrock, at a guess.

---------- Post added 08-08-2014 at 12:48 ----------

Actually that's wrong. People do win arguments on here by pointing out that other people's arguments are factually incorrect or whatever. The person or persons whose arguments are wrong may not accept that but to others their arguments are proven to be wrong.

In any case I still don't see why debating politics is any more a waste of time than debating which is the best film, band, football team, taxi service, Indian restaurant, means of transport, etc. It's subjective and a good thing to debate.

It's also a bit strange that a moderator of a debating forum is opposed to debating.

I don't recall stating I was against debate! I merely proffered my opinion that 'political' debate is pointless, and of course I'm entitled to my opinion moderator or not.

Because politics seems to 'invite' the most argument,

My 'high horse' at the moment is term time school holidays and getting fined for taking your children out of school.

Its all politics, education, health ect. As to what the point is. Not many seem to have an open mind on the subject, but I can only try to give people the facts, as I see them.

News media can be very biased, we all have our own stance.

Archived