Camera for cyclists

I don't think cycling is quite the same as snowboarding is it (in terms of risk)? Cyclists in cities are going much more slowly, for a start.

---------- Post added 08-08-2014 at 09:11 ----------

There's logic in that!

Why did a woman punch you, Cyclone?

A left hook is a car overtaking and immediately turning left across you, in the worst case just hitting you, but in my case causing me to have to do an emergency break and left turn or run into the car.

---------- Post added 08-08-2014 at 11:29 ----------

If Cyclone had one when he was left hooked, he could have shown this to the police, and from his description, I reckon there would have been side on views of the car and driver, as Cyclone looked at them. If the evidence was conclusive, I think they would have acted on a piece of driving which put another road user in danger.

I actually did a shoulder check as she started to overtake, so there would have been a view of a car alongside me (to the right) indicating left.

Then the sound of my air horn for 2 seconds.

Then a car turning left directly in front of me, and my breaking and left turn.

Then a lot of swearing and a full view of the car numberplate as I followed it for a short distance.

Then it speeding off, presumably so that I didn't kick the living hell out of either it or the driver or both for seriously endangering my life, which I was more than angry enough to do.

---------- Post added 08-08-2014 at 11:30 ----------

Remember to turn it off when riding on the pavement or the wrong way up a one way street etc.

The home secretary has told cyclists to ride on the pavement and then a subsequent home secretary has confirmed that he agree's and that they should.

Why they don't just actually change the law I don't know.

I use Garmin Virb on the handlebars for all commutes. I specifically wanted something on the bars, not helmet mounted. It does some nice tricks away from just being there in case of incidents.

It can do time-lapse so I’ve recorded a Monsal trail in 20 seconds video, I can also mount if on the car dash, once again for recording time-lapse journeys.

I’ve used it as a wildlife camera mounted on a tripod, you can take still shots pretty easily if you see something interesting on a ride. Its GPS enabled as well so it records your speed and position at all times, and you could use it in lieu of a cycle computer / GPS if you’re into recording stats.

What I’d like to do on the next long tour I do is hook it up to the dynamo to keep it powered all, day and set it to take a shot every 5 minutes or so to record my tour.

That said its not a cheap bit of kit, although the video quality is excellent, and it only because of the other uses it has that I bought it.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/garmin-depth-review.html

I have had a look at this one (Garmin virb) and looks the business I want it for safety reasons I.E Idiots that throw eggs so i can get there registration or road rage hypo.s who think its alright to cut you up.

If an accident occurs then even if the police do nothing at least I have the proof a solicitor would be interested in so its a win win situation.

Maybe I will put my training regime on youtube and chain my family to the sofa with re-runs on how its done..:hihi:

I'm thinking that a head camera would be infinitely better than one mounted on the handlebars. For one thing if there's lots of side to side movement and over the shoulder checks, it at the very least shows that the cyclist is being observant and very much aware of what is around, behind or in front of him, so would substantiate any mishap that might happen where someone claimed he wasn't looking or just pulled out, or whatever. It's as much for the cyclists benefit than proving someone else's incompetence or ignorance....Just my thought on it anyway

I'm thinking that a head camera would be infinitely better than one mounted on the handlebars. For one thing if there's lots of side to side movement and over the shoulder checks, it at the very least shows that the cyclist is being observant and very much aware of what is around, behind or in front of him, so would substantiate any mishap that might happen where someone claimed he wasn't looking or just pulled out, or whatever. It's as much for the cyclists benefit than proving someone else's incompetence or ignorance....Just my thought on it anyway

Yes, I agree. Some of the helmet cam videos which are on line effectively show the events leading up to crashes or close shaves.

No. Would it have been a valuable record of events leading up to and including the accident?

Probably. Don't get me wrong, I see the point, it's just that I think a lot of people see a camera as a form of self-defence, it isn't.

Archived