Fire fighters to strike..again

Good!

I hope they batter the government into submission!

The wealth in this world is so unevenly spread out, it's ridiculous! How can our government allow large corporations get away without paying tax, then try and convince us that the deal they've offered the fire fighters is fair??

What is it about the deal that isn't fair? How does the package offered compare to that of firefighters in similar economies?

Is it fair that a 60 year old can be fired for not maintaining the level of physical fitness required to rescue someone from a burning building?

The levels of which their pension will be slashed for taking early retirement is also wrong.

The government are too sodding afraid to put their foot down and recover much needed money from the people that actually have it. It's not like there's no money out there. Why attack our public services??

Is it fair that a 60 year old can be fired for not maintaining the level of physical fitness required to rescue someone from a burning building?

The levels of which their pension will be slashed for taking early retirement is also wrong.

The government are too sodding afraid to put their foot down and recover much needed money from the people that actually have it. It's not like there's no money out there. Why attack our public services??

How much more tax are you prepared to pay? We can't hammer/simplify our corporation tax system and a huge 1960s leap in taxes will see people leave (see what's happening in France).

So how much more taxes do you want to pay for fireman, nurses, an NHS free of the private sector etc etc.?

If a 60 year old wants to be a fireman then yes they should be fired if they can't do their job. Like anyone of any age.

Just because they can't take their pensions early does not mean they have to be fireman until they can withdraw it. How about the very simple solution of working somewhere else in between leaving the fire service and reaching the age of full pension entitlement

I was not aware of that rule, is it a change to a previous situation for firemen? Police can retire before that age. I don`t know if that early retirement age has a relevance to their (police) fitness level requirements. I can see the need for a fireman to have the ability for a certain level of fitness though.

Charmer-I think he is referring to fire service pension not state pen. If he worked somewhere else until 65, I am guessing he would get a reduced fire service pension.

I was not aware of that rule, is it a change to a previous situation for firemen? Police can retire before that age. I don`t know if it that early retirement age has a relevance to their (police) fitness level requirements. I can see the need for a fireman to have the ability for a certain level of fitness though.

Charmer-I think he is referring to fire service pension not state pen.

I know that he is. You don't have to be in the service until you retire to get the service pension, you just have to be in the service for the qualifying period. So once you've completed your time, if you feel the job is too demanding physically, leave and get another job.

If a 60 year old wants to be a fireman then yes they should be fired if they can't do their job. Like anyone of any age.

Just because they can't take their pensions early does not mean they have to be fireman until they can withdraw it. How about the very simple solution of working somewhere else in between leaving the fire service and reaching the age of full pension entitlement

How bout an even simpler idea, leave them alone and let them continue as they were, as per the contract of employment that they signed up for.

---------- Post added 09-08-2014 at 12:36 ----------

I know that he is. You don't have to be in the service until you retire to get the service pension, you just have to be in the service for the qualifying period. So once you've completed your time, if you feel the job is too demanding physically, leave and get another job.

What if there's no other suitable employment for them to take. Jobs are hard to come by these days.

How bout an even simpler idea, leave them alone and let them continue as they were, as per the contract of employment that they signed up for.

That contract would have included a caveat that allowed changes. So they are continuing as per the contract that they signed up for. If you are so keen to ensure that firefighters stick to their original contracts I assume that you are against them getting pay rises or promotions? Or can the contracts be changed as long as they are beneficial changes to the fireman?

---------- Post added 09-08-2014 at 12:40 ----------

---------- Post added 09-08-2014 at 12:36 ----------

What if there's no other suitable employment for them to take. Jobs are hard to come by these days.

How is that different to any other worker? I would advise that anyone feeling they may need to change jobs starts preparing for it a year or two before.

Charmer, although Bonzo is not providing details of the entire situation yet, I am guessing there will not be a full pension entitlement that you refer to. It will be reduced pro rata depending on when he left the service. If he left on ill health grounds then maybe he would get full entitlement. We are not getting the full picture from Bonzo.

Archived