Real Gangsters In Sheffield

just wondered if anyone can shed any light on the Thompson Gang???. As a child i were led to believe that my great granfather Harry Thompson was a member of this so called gang!! Or has anyone any memories of Harry??? All i know is that he fought in the first world war and he was possibly from the Darnall/Wyburn area????????

• 4 years later...

Re the post by poppins - was the fat guy tall or small, John (Johnny) Spitzer wore such a coat and also had a couple of guys to protect him. Whether he was a pimp or not I have no idea, but cetainly he likes the girls and had the cahs to spend on them. I first met him in 1958.

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Re the post by poppins - was the fat guy tall or small, John (Johnny) Spitzer wore such a coat and also had a couple of guys to protect him. Whether he was a pimp or not I have no idea, but cetainly he likes the girls and had the cahs to spend on them. I first met him in 1958.

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Johnny was Manager of the Empire Theatre, lived full time at the Grand Hotel. Huge character, never a pimp.

• 7 months later...

The cellar grate and razor gang's territory was Alfred Road, Brightside. Cellar grates were not just chucked through windows, they were chucked down entries, and at walls in yards; being cast-iron, they fragmented like hand-grenades. The Fowler Brothers, who were wrongly hanged for murder, were in the Alfred Road gang. Moving forward in time, a bit, anyone remember the notorious John Henry Clegg? My grandmother used to sew curtains for his doss-houses. He used to pay her with a big white fiver--good money in them days.

The cellar grate and razor gang's territory was Alfred Road, Brightside. Cellar grates were not just chucked through windows, they were chucked down entries, and at walls in yards; being cast-iron, they fragmented like hand-grenades. The Fowler Brothers, who were wrongly hanged for murder, were in the Alfred Road gang. Moving forward in time, a bit, anyone remember the notorious John Henry Clegg? My grandmother used to sew curtains for his doss-houses. He used to pay her with a big white fiver--good money in them days.

His own thread here.

Archived