Issue with new neighbour.

Myself and my partner have moved into a new home recently and it has permit parking. Behind our house is a shared access alleyway leading to. The. Rear entrances of the properties. Its just wide enough to park a car.

Due to my partner being into a wheelchair and the front door being stepped we have to use the rear which is accessible for her however one of the neighbours constantly parks his car in the alleyway, blocking it and my partner cannot get past. The neighbour does not have a permit for the car and is using the alley as his own private drive.

What can we do as its becoming a problem as my partner can't come and go as she pleases because someone has to carry her from her chair into the house then lift the chair into the house via the front door.

Myself and my partner have moved into a new home recently and it has permit parking. Behind our house is a shared access alleyway leading to. The. Rear entrances of the properties. Its just wide enough to park a car.

Due to my partner being into a wheelchair and the front door being stepped we have to use the rear which is accessible for her however one of the neighbours constantly parks his car in the alleyway, blocking it and my partner cannot get past. The neighbour does not have a permit for the car and is using the alley as his own private drive.

What can we do as its becoming a problem as my partner can't come and go as she pleases because someone has to carry her from her chair into the house then lift the chair into the house via the front door.

In the first instance you pay your neighbour a call and politely point out that their parking in that place is severely limiting your partner's mobility and ask them to please stop doing it.

In the first instance you pay your neighbour a call and politely point out that their parking in that place is severely limiting your partner's mobility and ask them to please stop doing it.

Yep,i have to agree with this suggestion.

Do you own your property leasehold? Does the offending neighbour too?

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 16:01 ----------

Have you checked the land registry to see who owns the land.

Have you also consulted your house deeds, as there might be something in there stipulating that the alleyway is not to be used for parking.

Yes- the leases may say.

Have you checked the land registry to see who owns the land.

Have you also consulted your house deeds, as there might be something in there stipulating that the alleyway is not to be used for parking.

Do covenants actually have any bite? I once lived in a house where the one of the covenants for the whole development was no caravans or trade vans in your drive and no businesses to be run from home. I knew loads who contravened these covenants and continued to do so.

Or are the covenants there if you want to go through an enforcement procedure? In my example above, nobody cared, so no one enforced them. With the OP's situation, would he need to go through legal channesl to enforce it?

Do covenants actually have any bite? I once lived in a house where the one of the covenants for the whole development was no caravans or trade vans in your drive and no businesses to be run from home. I knew loads who contravened these covenants and continued to do so.

Or are the covenants there if you want to go through an enforcement procedure? In my example above, nobody cared, so no one enforced them. With the OP's situation, would he need to go through legal channesl to enforce it?

Leasehold covenants: yes.

Freehold covenants (restrictive): usually yes.

Freehold covenants (positive): often no.

Archived