Roundabouts and overtaking

The scenario i gave needs you to be travelling above normal speed in order to enter the roundabout before the car in the left hand lane had exited.

---------- Post added 13-08-2014 at 11:56 ----------

Nobody changed lanes whilst on the roundabout.

---------- Post added 13-08-2014 at 12:01 ----------

My mistake. I should have said both cars are travelling in the same direction taking the same exit from the roundabout.

:)

---------- Post added 13-08-2014 at 12:01 ----------

Thanks for your replies guys, even the poster or two who didnt read my OP correctly :hihi:

Why, what actually happened? You were overtaken, or you were overtaking? And someone was offended or you were offended?

I don't think the OP said either way.

Reading it again, you might not even be going the same way when you exit, it could be an overtake on the roundabout where you turn right and they take the previous exit.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.356352,-1.388697,3a,75y,179.02h,66.02t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSSPTz0TLvAf_N2PTEpmChg!2e0

What about here, there's definitely a forward arrow in the right hand lane, but you have to be confident you can be quick to make use of that lane IMO as the two lane exit is only about 10 metres long!

I use that road regular. I would never go straight on in the right hand lane.

I use that road regular. I would never go straight on in the right hand lane.

I do sometimes, but only if the car in front is dawdling and I'm happy I can merge back in on the other side.

I'd not do it more often than I would.

---------- Post added 13-08-2014 at 14:23 ----------

I often see cars speeding at that junction. The reason for the road markings at that junction is to allow for vehicles turning right into it to exit. It is not a lane.

Huh?

The roundabout that I linked?

The one with two lanes on approach, both with straight ahead arrows and the left with a left arrow and the right with a right arrow?

What's that got to do with exiting vehicles?

I agree that there are not 2 lanes on the exit, which makes the 2 lanes on entry rather odd and potentially dangerous I'd say.

Why, what actually happened? You were overtaken, or you were overtaking? And someone was offended or you were offended?

A friend of mine was in a near miss with a white van on a roundabout. The van man took offence that she overtook him on the roundabout yet entered it after him so swerved and almost hit her. He tailgated her for about 3 miles hooting his horn and being a moron so she drove until he left her alone. I told her i didnt think overtaking on roundabouts was allowed. I was annoyed with this bloke for how he behaved there was really no need for it but as soon as id told her it wasnt allowed i second guessed myself so want to ask people what they thought :)

I don't think the OP said either way.

Reading it again, you might not even be going the same way when you exit, it could be an overtake on the roundabout where you turn right and they take the previous exit.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.356352,-1.388697,3a,75y,179.02h,66.02t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSSPTz0TLvAf_N2PTEpmChg!2e0

What about here, there's definitely a forward arrow in the right hand lane, but you have to be confident you can be quick to make use of that lane IMO as the two lane exit is only about 10 metres long!

The road on the other side is pretty wide & the person you're overtaking should let you past (if they're not turning left anyway), so it's not much problem there.

I fancy the van driver committed at least 2 offences that should be reported.

1. Unnecessary use of the warning instrument(Horn)

2. Tailgating which the police are currently very hot on.

Or you could tell your mum and stop wasting police time.

I would say yes I would over take on a dual carriageway roundabout but with extreme caution. On a few occasions I have been in the RH lane on a roundabout to go straight on and the driver in the LH lane has cut the corner and very nearly pushed me onto the roundabout. You can be the best driver in the world but you can't legislate for other people. The more time I spend on the road the more I think a lot of drivers are just constantly in auto pilot mode and not paying any due care or attention.

Archived