Roundabouts and overtaking

A two lane roundabout is as safe a place to pass as anywhere else. Any driver not checking blind spots before changing lanes is asking for trouble.

I find roundabouts quite safe places to overtake, because most people use good lane discipline. Driver behaviour is quite predictable on a roundabout.

Overtaking on normal roads is much more hazardous IMO.

I got the one that wasn't:mad: Right into the back of me..he was overtaking too. I'm never in that much of a hurry to overtake on a roundabout to be honest.

The thread itself is testament as to how unpredictable drivers can be.

The main roundabout I use is the intersection of the A61 and A616 near Tankersley. Since they redid it, it seems to confuse a lot of drivers especially those not expecting it to drop to one lane at one point. And the ones coming out McD's into a compulsory left who go straight over or even right 4th exit. Seen a lot of near misses there.

Something else to read http://www.sciences360.com/index.php/psychology-the-dunning-kruger-effect-in-action-3231/

about why "Whenever drivers are asked to evaluate their driving skill and safety relative to other drivers, at least 80% of drivers, and sometimes as high as 93% of drivers, typically rate themselves as above-average drivers."

Where I live there is a roundabout that drivers don't seem to understand. It's on Bawtry Road next to the Masons pub. Bawtry road is a dual carriageway so you can approach the roundabout from Bawtry road and go straight on in either lane. But if you're on Northfield Lane or Morthen Road the Road goes from a single lane into two lanes as you approach the roundabout. Now when I did my test I was told unless marked otherwise when approaching a roundabout you use the left lane for left or straight on and the right lane to turn right this is how I approach that roundabout. On numerous occasions cars have cut me up using the right lane to go straight on and then looked at me as though I am in the wrong, can anyone clarify this?

It does not help that there are pelican crossing on Bawtry road on both sides approaching the roundabout

You can do that AND overtake someone in the other lane. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

They're at fault, although that doesn't help a great deal as your car is still damaged and you might be injured.

It's often the easiest and safest place to pass someone who is driving slowly.

Just passing them, because you are travelling faster is not the same as over taking.

Overtaking is deliberately changing lanes to go round them, then returning to your lane.

The only time I can imagine you might do it is going behind a very slow moving tractor, but I can't say that's ever happened.

Not sure why you have a problem with my post about staying left in the context of thread being about overtaking on a roundabout, not general road craft. Cutting across lanes is not a good idea. Maybe an idea to have an hour with an instructor if you have a problem with them.

I agree that cutting across lanes is not a good idea but what can you do, apart from "watching out for the prats that overtake you", as you said, if they do overtake you and then cut in front of you? My point is that "watching out" isn't much use. It doesn't say specifically what to do to avoid them.

There is nothing wrong with making good progress when the situation allows (i.e. going straight on at a roundabout in a lane marked 'straight on'. You can sometimes pre-empt what the other car is going to do, like straightlining (crossing both lanes) which happens alot and is mostly down to laziness.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.345838,-1.352919,3a,75y,284.15h,89.42t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQ-StfaSzWst2a1NfjbbLiw!2e0

At weekends the above junction gets busy with left turners so I sometimes use the right lane to go straight on.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Argos+Sheffield+Crystal+Peaks/@53.349644,-1.357212,3a,75y,146.58h,79.54t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slFw8IyXkiIAk0pjqlG5h5g!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x48799db48451e9c7:0xbffb495028179f18

However going straight on at this junction is not allowed ;)

Should you overtake on a roundabout? Example, Your in the right hand lane approaching a roundabout. A car is already on the roundabout moving at normal speed. You (still in the right lane) go round the roundabout and overtake the car thats already on it,

Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. So will say this. Think of a roundabout as a clock. 12, 6 , 9 ,3 Oclock.

Think of 6 and 12 Oclock, you stay in the left lane! If you intend to go farther than 12 Oclock stay in the right hand lane.

Simpler: Cut a circular cake in half! The left side of the cake left lane, The right side of the cake the right ,lane.

So yes, the car in the left lane should not travel more than 12 o'clock. the car on the right lane can overtake (go faster) because their exit starts from 1 o'clock onwards.

---------- Post added 16-08-2014 at 02:00 ----------

If you have a sat nav and it says continue straight when approaching a roundabout it means 12 o'clock.! ( left lane) 1 o'clock onwards right lane!.

---------- Post added 16-08-2014 at 02:33 ----------

Two lane approach at roundabout: From 6 to 12 left lane. From 1 to 6 right lane.

Three lane approach: From 6 to 11 left lane . Middle lane 12, right lane 1 to 6.

Double white lines? Never heard or seen such things.!

I'm sure you have - but they don't word it well. They mean the ones down the middle of the road that you shouldnt cross because of bends etc...

Another starter for ten - is it permissible to overtake when there is a solid double white line down the middle of the road?

I'm sure you have - but they don't word it well. They mean the ones down the middle of the road that you shouldnt cross because of bends etc...

Another starter for ten - is it permissible to overtake when there is a solid double white line down the middle of the road?

My guess, without looking it up,

Yes, if you don't cross it, and

Yes, if you are overtaking a slow moving vehicle (eg street sweeper, tractor etc).

I can't think of any other occasions, off hand.

Edit. Maybe if instructed to by a traffic policeman

I didn't realise it was my job to police the roads.

Very very few drivers are convicted after being reported by members of public for good reason.

A crap driver will see alot of things as dangerous,yet a competent driver could well have a different view.

A good driver will take things in their stride while a limited driver will see it as a big issue.

I find theres few occasions there isn't smoke without fire.

Some of course want to make someone else pay for their short comings in life.

And some of us as Police qualified advanced drivers might know a bit more than those overconfident people who make this kind of posting.

Archived