Anyone know where Commonside oughtibridge is/was

USUK

The row of houses known as Commonside were evidently demolished in the mid-1900s but they were adjacent to Kaye Meadows on the western side of Oughtibridge, where Coumes Brook flows down from Onesmoor. Here is a scan taken from a council leaflet, and a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site.

Edited by hillsbro

The row of houses known as Commonside were evidently demolished in the mid-1900s but they were adjacent to Kaye Meadows on the western side of Oughtibridge, where Coumes Brook flows down from Onesmoor. Here is a scan taken from a council leaflet, and a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site.

Thanks Hillsbro. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where it was relative to todays layout

---------- Post added 13-08-2014 at 20:11 ----------

Thanks Hillsbro. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where it was relative to todays layout

Ok I think I have it. Or at least where Kaye meadows is. Do we know for sure that's where Common Side was ? Hollingworth Lane seems to have vanished also.

Edited by USUK

.... Do we know for sure that's where Common Side was?
Yes.
..Hollingworth Lane seems to have vanished also.
Hollingworth Lane was an alternative name for Church Street. Here is another scan from the council leaflet, and an aerial view from Bing Maps. In each case the blue arrow shows the approximate location of the former Commonside cottages. The only map I have of the area that shows "Common Side" is a very poor quality photocopy, but here is a scan on which I've retouched the lettering slightly with Photoshop to make it clearer..:) Edited by hillsbro

Yes.Hollingworth Lane was an alternative name for Church Street. Here is another scan from the council leaflet, and an aerial view from Bing Maps. In each case the blue arrow shows the approximate location of the former Commonside cottages. The only map I have of the area that shows "Common Side" is a very poor quality photocopy, but here is a scan on which I've retouched the lettering slightly with Photoshop to make it clearer..:)

Ok I got it. I guess the Creek ran under the houses and the lane running down to the right corner of the Photograph is what is now Wheel Lane. Thanks for your help. Now if you could just point out which one is No. 333 :-)

There is a very strong possibility that this photo was taken at Common Side http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/USUK10/Misc/GGrandfather_zps994e2666.jpg

Edited by USUK

...http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/USUK10/Misc/GGrandfather_zps994e2666.jpg
Interesting-looking vehicle! I don't think the photo would have been taken at Common Side - it seems to be on the level, and the backdrop looks more like mill buildings in the valley. If the photo was taken at or near Oughtibridge, then I would guess that the River Don would have been just over the wall, with the mill buildings on the other side.

Interesting-looking vehicle! I don't think the photo would have been taken at Common Side - it seems to be on the level, and the backdrop looks more like mill buildings in the valley. If the photo was taken at or near Oughtibridge, then I would guess that the River Don would have been just over the wall, with the mill buildings on the other side.

Maybe but I'll reserve judgment on that. One thing I know for sure is that both the gents in the vehicle lived at Common Side. Number 333 to be precise

:-)