Anyone know where Commonside oughtibridge is/was

USUK

Interesting-looking vehicle! I don't think the photo would have been taken at Common Side - it seems to be on the level, and the backdrop looks more like mill buildings in the valley. If the photo was taken at or near Oughtibridge, then I would guess that the River Don would have been just over the wall, with the mill buildings on the other side.
It looks to me as if it could have been taken near the former Peter Dixon's paper mill just outside Oughtibridge. Or perhaps further down the valley towards Sheffield? Anyway the industrial-looking buildings in the background are nothing like the ones up the hill where Commonside was - in that area there were only cottages, farm buildings and the church.

Hi beechnut - yes, I also thought of Peter Dixon's, but in that location the River Don flows behind the mill buildings, and it does look to me as if the river might be just over the wall. Perhaps the photo could have been taken below Hillfoot Bridge, with the Neepsend Lane steel mills in the background? In any event it clearly wasn't taken on a hillside, such as where Commonside was located.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.43644,-1.533069,3a,75y,273.97h,102.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQiSkYRJv9En0VRfo1D0gfg!2e0!6m1!1e1?hl=en

is it possible for the background of this picture could be old cottages?

Walking along Station Lane, Oughtibridge you just see the bedroom windows and roofs of

the buildings like in the picture. Just a thought.

Edited by jaffa1

Hi Jaffa1 - yes, Station Lane is a possibility. In fact I was looking for photos of that area on the picturesheffield.com site but didn't find much. To me the backdrop looks more like mill buildings, or maybe a combination of cottages at the right and (taller) mills at the left? Could it be a little further along Langsett Road North, somewhere near the location of this photo on the picturesheffield site?

• 8 months later...

My Grandfather lived on what was known as Common side Oughtibridge. It was the row of houses, now demolished, next to the old coop on the top road. I was born and bred in the village and can remember them well. The backdrop was the old JJ Shepherd yard at the foot of his garden down below.

My Grandfather lived on what was known as Common side Oughtibridge. It was the row of houses, now demolished, next to the old coop on the top road. I was born and bred in the village and can remember them well. The backdrop was the old JJ Shepherd yard at the foot of his garden down below.

Our Grandparents must've been close neighbors

Before that yard was Shepherds it was Archbold Johnsons and the cottages were like three or four story tenaments,maybe the picture is more like where the Club and Napier steels were.Joseph Rodgers had a large factory down there as well.Looking at the photo it could be anybodys guess.