Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

Minimo

Re, Climbing over rubble. I remember as a young boy in the late 50s playing on what we called "bomb buildings". One in particular was at the bottom of Lansdowne Rd across London Rd,and across from the Locarno.It had a small wire fence to keep people out (a kids invite if ever there was one). Strewn all over rubble were smooth wooden turned handles, the kind you would see on screwdrivers etc. My pals and I would split off in teams behind the piles of rubble and play :war: lobbing the handles and pretending they were hand grenades. On one occasion instead of a handle I threw A piece of brick. It hit my friend square on the forehead. Blood streaming down we rushed him home and at his door told him if his mom and dad asked what happened tell them nothing happened. Well of course they found out and came down to our house, Instead of hitting the roof and after a mild telling off ,they said to play somewhere else the next time. playtime was a bit different then . Which brings me to the question--- does anyone know what was on or around that site that made those handles.

I've just emailed my brother to ask him about them. Who knows he might even have been involved in your 'wars'

---------- Post added 16-08-2014 at 22:51 ----------

Heard from my brother. He thinks they were reject handles for files. There were also blunt penknives. This was in the area where you toward town from Lansdowne Rd. He doesn't know where they might have come from. I suppose a Kellys or similar for just before/during the war might give an answer.

Hi landsdowne, I lived there till 1959, at number 71 next door to mrs Green, I remember micheal green , also Brian porter who went to Australia he had a sister but cannot remember her name, also knew mrs robinson and her son bill who had the shop , was in touch with bill until maybe two years ago, but since not spoken , memories of sledges and bills bonfire outside the shop, Rose Elliott was a friend of mine, also the turner family number 79 I think not sure though, Pat Elaine and Joyce.

Happy memories ..

Hi there again , Rose Elliott did go to sharrow lane school in a class higher than me , as well as the turner girls , happy days , I know pat turner has died now sadly about 10 years ago , and lost touch with the others , I remember the chip shop mr and mrs Cheetham was it Cliffe St , and Robinsons shop they sold everything you wanted , they had a dog called Daisy it used to be all over the place about 1950.

..also Brian porter who went to Australia he had a sister but cannot remember her name...
A Brian Porter was born in Sheffield in 1938, and a likely sister (i.e. same mother's maiden name) was Mavis, born 1945.

There was also a shop on the 'evens' side, near the bottom of the street. I don't know who ran it. The 'customer' area was so tiny, we used to go there for sweets. I liked love hearts and licorice, my brother Wagon Wheels. I remember one day finding a half crown on the floor and the woman behind the counter made me hand it over.

The only other name I recall is someone I think was called Tommy Justice.

We used to spend hours playing marbles on the cobbled road just outside Jowetts the pawnbroker.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Rosie Elliott passed away last month. Her married name was Coldwell and her husband Cedric was the brother of Cec Coldwell who played for Utd. I went to their wedding as a young boy and Rosie was my younger brothers godmother.Her father was killed in WW2 and my grandparents basically brought her up.She lived across the road from us before moving to a high rise on the Hanover. I also believe Billy Robinson died last year or so.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 12:05 ----------

Hi Hillsbro, Mavis Porter used to babysit me.She lived next door to my aunt and uncle in the big yard at #66.

Somrbody mentioned Arnie's ( Washington Arms ), I went in there often to play snooker, my mate Jack Glossop used to call Arnie, cripple, because he had a dummy leg which, so the story goes, was a result of playing football for Wolves. Every Saturday night the table was covered and homosexuals performed and it was better than going to the theatre, laugh a minute. All gone now of course. I lived on Priory Terrace. Anyone remember the Kay family.

Hi all , thanks for the information that you have all written, its been great to reminiss, the link to the kellys directory brought some memories back.

I was sorry to hear the news of Bill Robinson and Rosie Elliott so sad, I do remember her Grandma and her Mum 'Jessie'.

When we lived there directly across from mrs Robinsons shop lived the Dewhirst family with there two daughters Irene and Doreen, their father worked for Sheffield transport on the trams .

Does anyone remember Malcolm Webster? .

We used to run through the Coop at the bottom of Ecclesall rd where the look out man used to chase us off !

Mrs Robinson left Landsdown rd in 1962 and moved to a shop off Sharrow, Sherrington Rd I think and remained for about 10 years.

In Mavis Porters big yard lived a lady who kept greyhound dogs and had a daughter called Ginny Brown ?? I too knew the Baggotts my mother worked with mrs Baggott at some point , I was friendly with Margaret while I lived there.