Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

Minimo

Regarding the co-op.Yes there was a passageway.It went from Cemetery Rd to Ecclesall R. I used to work at Banner Cross, and wait for the #4bus,if I saw a #82 coming to the moor roundabout I would run through the CO-op and catch it.

Neat trick :)

Hi Yorkyhells. Re St Mathias.. I went to Sharrow Lane and we would sing,

Saint Mathias, Dirty Liars. Two for tuppence ha'penny.

The reply would be Sharrow lane have no brains.

---------- Post added 28-08-2014 at 14:24 ----------

For two great photos of Lansdown RD , check out, picturesheffield.com

advanced search. sharrow. #43. s17586. also, @42. s17584.

OK. I hope this doesn't get me in trouble but here goes. I have the old LANSDOWNE RD street sign that was at the bottom corner with London rd. On one of my trips back to S11,I saw workmen on scaffolding next to the sign.I asked what was going on and they said they were getting ready to pull the building down. I asked about the sign and they said it would be scrapped. When I asked if I could buy it they asked why and I explained I used to live there. They said giuss a coupla quid an tha can avit. So I gave them some of the one pound coins ,they put it in the trunk (sorry-boot) of my rental car and off it went. I hope the statute of limitations saves me on this.

Oh I'm so jealous.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. But then again, knowing our sainted council, they might come after you.

If I'd been in Sheffield at the time of demolition I would have loved to try and get a brick from my old house.

Just had a thought. I was once told that the houses had inter-connecting cellars, dating from the war years when it was an escape route should a house be bombed, if that makes sense. I don't remember any such myself.

Oh I'm so jealous.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. But then again, knowing our sainted council, they might come after you.

If I'd been in Sheffield at the time of demolition I would have loved to try and get a brick from my old house.

Just had a thought. I was once told that the houses had inter-connecting cellars, dating from the war years when it was an escape route should a house be bombed, if that makes sense. I don't remember any such myself.

My parents' house on Mount Pleasant Road, just over the way from the Lansdowne, had just such an interconnecting- cellars arrangement, there was a doorway, through, between each property. By the 1970s, when we moved in, they'd been bricked back up.

My parents' house on Mount Pleasant Road, just over the way from the Lansdowne, had just such an interconnecting- cellars arrangement, there was a doorway, through, between each property. By the 1970s, when we moved in, they'd been bricked back up.

That could explain why it hadn't registered with me, if it was already bricked up.

It's an interesting idea, I wonder just how widespread it was.