What or who is Crimicar?

You know, I grew up in Fulwood and caught the 60 bus with Crimicar Lane on the front so many times over so many years and I never once wondered where that name originated from.

Great question and a good, informative answer from hillsbro as usual :)

I have however, always wondered where the name of the road I lived on came from ....... Stone Delf ?

going back to Peter Harvey's book

from old field name. Harrison's survey of 1637 mentions a close called ye Stone Delph measuring three roods nineteen perches, held by Hugh Beighton and his son William. Delph or delf is the old word for quarry

According to the late Peter Harvey's research, the name evidently applied to a field, and it could derive from the Middle English for "crooked acre" - here is a scan from Peter's book "Street Names of Sheffield".

Thank you hillsbro. What a wonderful resource that book is. You have just convinced me to part with my pennies having been intrigued by it for some time.

• 2 months later...
Can remember as a kid my mother commenting on anyone with a bad cough ,saying that's another one for Crimicar lane . Was there a chest clinic or hospital there ?
Yes - it was an isolation hospital, and people with tuberculosis were sent to the Crimicar Lane Hospital for treatment. It was demolished in the 1950s. Edited by hillsbro