What or who is Crimicar?

Yes - it was an isolation hospital, and people with tuberculosis were sent to the Crimicar Lane Hospital for treatment. It was demolished in the 1950s.

Spot on. My uncle died there. My dad was sent to winter St for quarantine.

I certainly don't envy my grandma the daily walk from fulwood tramstop up crimicar to the hospital for visiting.

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed quote

You know, I grew up in Fulwood and caught the 60 bus with Crimicar Lane on the front so many times over so many years and I never once wondered where that name originated from.

Great question and a good, informative answer from hillsbro as usual :)

I have however, always wondered where the name of the road I lived on came from ....... Stone Delf ?

I knew John and Sheila Littler on Stone Delf but that may have been before you lived there. I lived on the parallel road, Slayleigh Avenue from 1962-1971.

I knew John and Sheila Littler on Stone Delf but that may have been before you lived there. I lived on the parallel road, Slayleigh Avenue from 1962-1971.

Mike, I knew the Littlers. Lived about half way up Stone Delf on the left hand side I think? I was about 3 or 4 when my parents moved to Stone Delf (1964 or 65) and I lived there until 1985. A great place to grow up!