N.I.C.E. the N.H.S. and Me.

The 'National Institute for Clinical Excellence' is the Quango which decides which drugs or treatment can be authorised for use by the N.H.S. and which can not for one reason or another. The main reason these days is to do with the cost of keeping us alive, so 'N.I.C.E.' plays at being God.

I have a personal gripe about arrogant people who can decide whether I live or pop off this mortal coil, as they did in 2001, when I had a heart attack. I was refused treatment on the grounds that a) I was not resident in the area where I collapsed and taken into hospital, and then b) when back in my home area, I was told that I must return to where I collapsed and take issue with the N.H.S. there.

It cost me my life savings to save my life, but here I am folks in 2014, alive and reasonably well. I became a private patient in an N.H.S. hospital with a private wing. However, I was the only paying patient in the wing, all the others being regarded as having more important lives than mine.

In 1995, I accidentally broke my arm whilst in Suffolk. I managed to drive to Norwich Hospital, which was the nearest one, and given the X Rays of the fracture. "What do I want these for ?," I asked, and was told by the doctor that I would have to take them to the nearest hospital to where I lived.

I told her that I lived 300 miles away, and asked how I would get there, and she said, "The same way you got here."

Two days later I presented myself at my local hospital and handed over the X. Rays. A doctor told me to return to Norwich because I was the responsibility of that hospital. The fracture was never professionally treated and has become arthritic in recent years.

I could have saved my life savings in 2001 and had my arm repaired in 1995, if I had been a bit smarter than I am. I could have gabbled away in some makeshift foreign language and inferred that I was from overseas. I would have risked being charged with obtaining treatment by deception contrary to Sec. 15 of the Theft Act, 1968, but at least I would have received treatment.

Has anyone else suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous decisions such as these ?. If so, let us all benefit from them and then we can perhaps do something about it.

The 'National Institute for Clinical Excellence' is the Quango which decides which drugs or treatment can be authorised for use by the N.H.S. and which can not for one reason or another. The main reason these days is to do with the cost of keeping us alive, so 'N.I.C.E.' plays at being God.

I have a personal gripe about arrogant people who can decide whether I live or pop off this mortal coil, as they did in 2001, when I had a heart attack. I was refused treatment on the grounds that a) I was not resident in the area where I collapsed and taken into hospital, and then b) when back in my home area, I was told that I must return to where I collapsed and take issue with the N.H.S. there.

It cost me my life savings to save my life, but here I am folks in 2014, alive and reasonably well. I became a private patient in an N.H.S. hospital with a private wing. However, I was the only paying patient in the wing, all the others being regarded as having more important lives than mine.

In 1995, I accidentally broke my arm whilst in Suffolk. I managed to drive to Norwich Hospital, which was the nearest one, and given the X Rays of the fracture. "What do I want these for ?," I asked, and was told by the doctor that I would have to take them to the nearest hospital to where I lived.

I told her that I lived 300 miles away, and asked how I would get there, and she said, "The same way you got here."

Two days later I presented myself at my local hospital and handed over the X. Rays. A doctor told me to return to Norwich because I was the responsibility of that hospital. The fracture was never professionally treated and has become arthritic in recent years.

I could have saved my life savings in 2001 and had my arm repaired in 1995, if I had been a bit smarter than I am. I could have gabbled away in some makeshift foreign language and inferred that I was from overseas. I would have risked being charged with obtaining treatment by deception contrary to Sec. 15 of the Theft Act, 1968, but at least I would have received treatment.

Has anyone else suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous decisions such as these ?. If so, let us all benefit from them and then we can perhaps do something about it.

So let's get this straight, did the local A&E refuse to treat you, or did the hospital suggest that you were better having prolonged treatment closer to your home?

Sounds like a right old load of <REMOVED>.

No hospital is going to turn away a man with a broken arm, they will scan, set and stick it in a pot.

Similarly no hospital is going to turn away a man who's just had a heart attack, because the obviously need to go into intensive care.

They might pass on the long-term care to the hospital most convenient to the patient, but they cannot turn away emergency care if they have the facilities to deal with it.

No hospital is going to turn away a man with a broken arm, they will scan, set and stick it in a pot.

Similarly no hospital is going to turn away a man who's just had a heart attack, because the obviously need to go into intensive care.

They might pass on the long-term care to the hospital most convenient to the patient, but they cannot turn away emergency care if they have the facilities to deal with it.

Exactly......!!!!!!!!!!!! :loopy:

As i understand it, Hospitals CAN refuse to treat someone. There has to be good reason but as i hear it hospitals can and sometimes do refuse to treat people. I have absolutely no idea if they would refuse someone treatment if they had suffered a heart attack but stranger things happen at sea.

---------- Post added 19-08-2014 at 15:40 ----------

You can now choose which hospital provides your treatment. As to what happened in the past to the OP, I don't particularly believe it happened as described.

jb

Its a stretch i agree, particularly if its as the op described. Im thinking it sort of happened roughly how the op says but obviously being part of the situation the op is upset, distressed or just plain angry at what happened so thats coming over in his post. I dont think for one second he is lying, i think perhaps hes still very upset and wanting to kick out.

As i understand it, Hospitals CAN refuse to treat someone. There has to be good reason but as i hear it hospitals can and sometimes do refuse to treat people. I have absolutely no idea if they would refuse someone treatment if they had suffered a heart attack but stranger things happen at sea.

From talking to a few friends who are doctors/nurses that have done A&E stints the only time they have mentioned refusing treatment is to drunk and violent people.

Usually it's some plonker who's got into a scrap, got a bump,bruise,cut etc

They turn up absolutely plastered and still up for a fight, they won't calm down and continue to cause trouble to the staff attempting to sort them out.

In that case the security/police have to take them away before they hurt someone.

You can now choose which hospital provides your treatment. As to what happened in the past to the OP, I don't particularly believe it happened as described.

jb

Really? So if I've had an accident or need an ambulance I can tell them to take me to The Hallamshire rather than the Northern General?

Or maybe University College Hospital in London?

From talking to a few friends who are doctors/nurses that have done A&E stints the only time they have mentioned refusing treatment is to drunk and violent people.

Usually it's some plonker who's got into a scrap, got a bump,bruise,cut etc

They turn up absolutely plastered and still up for a fight, they won't calm down and continue to cause trouble to the staff attempting to sort them out.

In that case the security/police have to take them away before they hurt someone.

Faire enough. Im happy to stand corrected :)

I still dont think the op is telling out and out lies though. There must be a certain degree of truth to the story otherwise why post it?

Archived