Timothy Taylor's Boltmaker

owls101

Oakham Citra is regularly sold in B & M Hillsborough for just £1.79 a bottle. Bargain.

I'm racking my brain to remember where locally I had it on draft...obviously I had too much because it just won't come back to me.

On second thoughts I'm almost sure it was in Birmingham

The only place I've seen Oakham Citra on cask in Sheffield is the Sheffield Tap. Haven't tried the bottled version yet in case doesn't match up to the cask.

It says something that you mention drinking it in Birmingham and I immediately wonder if that was at The Wellington (which usually has it on)

The only place I've seen Oakham Citra on cask in Sheffield is the Sheffield Tap. Haven't tried the bottled version yet in case doesn't match up to the cask.

It says something that you mention drinking it in Birmingham and I immediately wonder if that was at The Wellington (which usually has it on)

Think it must have been, I've been there and Newcastle for work in the last few months and have managed to visit some local pubs (one of the perks of the job). Definitely visited The Wellington twice, oddly enough I wasn't that enamored with it the second time I went...the range seemed a bit dull. I also like The Craven Arms when I'm down that way. And I can point you in the direction of a good Polish restaurant if you fancy big meat, carbs and some vodka to finish! :D

I always think these kind of awards are laughable at best. Boltmaker isn't even the best brew Tim Taylors make, let alone the best in Britain. A good pint of Landlord is hard to find but is so much better... and even then only good for a 'traditional' beer.

I would have to agree that Oakham Citra is a much better beer, but then again not the best Oakham brew - as anyone who has had Green Devil will attest to. Fortunately they have had that across a few of the Thornbridge pubs recently, as well as in my local - the No.7 in Barnsley.

As for the best beer in Brittain - I think it probably varies depending on your own personal taste, where it is served, what condition it is in, the time of day, the mood you're in and what you've had before... But for me, around Sheffield, I'd have to go with one of the Thornbridge beers - Jaipur or Kipling. Readily available and usually very good.

I always think these kind of awards are laughable at best. Boltmaker isn't even the best brew Tim Taylors make, let alone the best in Britain. A good pint of Landlord is hard to find but is so much better... and even then only good for a 'traditional' beer.

I would have to agree that Oakham Citra is a much better beer, but then again not the best Oakham brew - as anyone who has had Green Devil will attest to. Fortunately they have had that across a few of the Thornbridge pubs recently, as well as in my local - the No.7 in Barnsley.

As for the best beer in Brittain - I think it probably varies depending on your own personal taste, where it is served, what condition it is in, the time of day, the mood you're in and what you've had before... But for me, around Sheffield, I'd have to go with one of the Thornbridge beers - Jaipur or Kipling. Readily available and usually very good.

I agree with you re the Green Devil. I've stocked up on a few bottles from Beer Central. Perfect for a nice sunny afternoon in the garden......which I doubt we'll be having any more of this year!

Archived