Does anyone remember Kenyons toy shop on Bellhouse Road

Didn't Kenyon's also sell ciggies? I remember my mate Andy saving his paper round money and buying what we thought were exotic fags like Peter Stuyvesant, Gaulois and Camels - although we were under-age. Some of them used to stink like camels too.

Does anyone remember that Marti Caine used to have cafe on Bellhouse Road? This would have been mid-70's. She used to serve there sometimes I recall. It was either the second or third down from the corner of North Quadrant. We were spoilt for choice with chipshops at Firth Park in those days, no wonder I'm addicted to chips still. The Paragon on Sicey was the one I liked best. There always seemed to be a queue there, and you'd get to the door where there was another room where all the old dears sat. And the sweet shop next to it. The Fine Fare opposite. Woolworth's next door. I remember going to a shoe shop on Bellhouse with my Dad for him to but some shoes. He took off his working boots, and he had a big hole in his sock...he says coolly to the assistant:"Excuse me "oily" sock love!" My sister still chuckles at that.

Hi all.

As an ex Hucklow Rd boy I found this site great,read all posts avidly.Remember Kenyons very well,brought a lot of memories back.I lived at number 70 in the old prefabs. I was a few years behind Mikeyspikey at Hucklow road school left Aug 1964 bound for Aus.Would love too see some pictures of Firth Park as it is now.

All the best.

Lostsoul.

Does anyone remember that Marti Caine used to have cafe on Bellhouse Road? This would have been mid-70's. She used to serve there sometimes I recall. It was either the second or third down from the corner of North Quadrant. We were spoilt for choice with chipshops at Firth Park in those days, no wonder I'm addicted to chips still. The Paragon on Sicey was the one I liked best. There always seemed to be a queue there, and you'd get to the door where there was another room where all the old dears sat. And the sweet shop next to it. The Fine Fare opposite. Woolworth's next door. I remember going to a shoe shop on Bellhouse with my Dad for him to but some shoes. He took off his working boots, and he had a big hole in his sock...he says coolly to the assistant:"Excuse me "oily" sock love!" My sister still chuckles at that.

my wife remembers marti caine's cafe on bellhouse but she thinks think it was a little earlier than mid seventies,She bought it from the people who had it as a bakery when my wife worked there in 1969. Marti always used to wear see through crocheted mini dresses

• 3 months later...
I always thought kenyons was the same shop where rons greeting cards now is.

could be wrong though.

when i was a lad ron card shop was a watchshop next to that was a wineshop

kenyons was a doubleshop one was a tobbanist a barber the other one a toy shop

on the corner i think it was a chemist at that time

Malc,

I dont know terry Lomas but I'll ask my brother ( we both went to Shiregreen, he a bit later than me.) all my old pals with the exception of Harry howarth went to Shiregreen .then there was the Wrigglesworth Family (oposite St Hildas church) and the Mellors.oposite the steps to Patmore road

i went to school with tom mellor i dont think i took papers round for henthorns

i worked for ron cater on patmore befor that revvils at firth park

I do recall Miss Fincham and Mr Dobson the head teacher and Mr Bennett (good with the cane) and best of all (for the boys) was Miss Williams the PT teacher, god I remember those thighs.But what was the woodwork teacher called?

my teacher was mr chapman class room top of the stairs ileft 1944

Three ways pf getting to Firth Park shopping centre from Windmill Lane..Down Bellhouse road, Down the steps to Patmore road then either turn right and then left down Bellhouse Road or go down the steps by the "Warncliffe"and finaly,down Beavercoates.Great going down but not too clever coming back! (not a lot of people know that)

i do i lived on bevercotes and everbody knew me and my mates round that area

and both chip shop on bellhouse rd mrs toppen a stringers had the house window shop