Does anyone remember Kenyons toy shop on Bellhouse Road

Malc,There was a sweet shop on your side of bellhouse rd I think it was called Bensons. One early morning after a night of bombing my mates and I grabbed all the sweets we could carry out of the shop front window ,which had been blown out,only to find that they were all wooden immitations.Then we went to Shiregreen School which had been bombed too thinking that our schooldays where over for a while..Not a bit of it..Someone came up with the bright Idea of schooling in private homes..The war at that time wasn't going too well for kids!!

Yes, Bensons sweet shop was there for donks, after that, some time in late 50s, it was taken over by a chap called Jack Lundy, who was a model aeroplane enthusiast, and opened his own model shop, a bit on the lines of "Hobbies" in town. I don't think he lasted all that long, but was a big mate of my dad, Mick Smith, who used to go with Jack and a few others flying control line models in the park.

The boating lake was also popular at this time next to Firth Park Library, they would all congregate there with boats powered by diesel engines and have a right old time.

I can remember dad having one of the first radio control boats, very basic, left rudder, ahead and right rudder, and every time a tram went past, if the trolley sparked, the boat would change course. Happy days!

Hi, have just joined this site and have enjoyed reading about Bellhouse Rd. etc. I attended Shiregreen School when it was bombed and remember going for lessons in in other pupils houses, by the time the lady of the house had made the teacher a cup of CAMP coffee and we had looked around to see if they had anything better than we had it was trime to go home. Anyone remember Miss Fincham-the dragon teacher???

Yes, Miss Fincham was my teacher in my final year at school(1958), in many ways, I quite admired her with the benefit of hindsight, she coped in what was a mans world with a disability, took some doing in those days.

Do you remember when she would conduct during assembly, anyone sat crossed legged on the hall floor would have to be ready to duck.

Another formidable lady teacher was Miss Somerset, I always thought she looked like my granny!

I do recall Miss Fincham and Mr Dobson the head teacher and Mr Bennett (good with the cane) and best of all (for the boys) was Miss Williams the PT teacher, god I remember those thighs.But what was the woodwork teacher called?

Mr. Dobson was one of the best. Miss. Williams (Kay) was our

PT mistress and we won the Sheffield Shield at the final for all the competing schools in Sheffield.

Is there anyone out there who was on the winning team???.

Mr Dobson was a Gent..Mr Lamb was not..in fact he ruled by fear... And Miss "Fanny" Fincham's classroom was left of the stage in the main hall, where she looked after the "senior girls" teaching them all about womens stuff, like sewing and how men were evil...I daren't go within 20 yards of her classroom in case she came out and shouted some sort of abuse at me.

She was only "four foot tall" but she scared the s*** out of me.

Mr Yates was the "Science" teacher (we called him "Boris") and Mr Tyndale was the Tech Drawing teacher they both had classrooms at the bottom of the Girls playground in wooden huts..also there was a "Cook house" down there where meals were prepared for the Junior School next door, I can still remember the "typical school dinner" of sliced beef (with gristle)

mash and butter beans and slices of beetroot with beatroot juice mixed with the thick brown gravy..there was no canteen, we had this on our classroom desk.

And finaly in the winter, remember the little frozen bottles of milk that we had to thaw out on the radiators before we could drink it.