Visiting city of my birth

Titch66

........and 100 years ago.

That's progress for you.

Thanks Hillsbro and Jim Hardie. It's obviously gone. At least the Education Commitee Offices on the opposite corner of Orchard Lane help to orientate it's former position for Tich66 and me. :)

Must have entered the courtyard with the Italian Restaurant on the left before the buildings on your pics. Need to retrace my steps in daylight to ascertain why I thought it was behind the Grand Hotel. :confused:

Edited by PeterR

Sheffield has moved into the 21st century - it has not got worse it has changed.

Sheffield is a beautiful city if you open your eyes - you need to accept that things have to move forwards.

Just where in the centre of sheffield is "Beautiful"? The Gaumont/Odeon cinema building in Barkers Pool, ugly, the Manpower Services building, ugly, the Moor ugly, there isn't a decent new building in town.

Edited by lazarus

And what's that awful looking building in Barker's Pool with red (or is it orange) metalwork that looks like scaffolding protruding from it?

Thanks for that old pic of the Grand Hotel, Jim. Just as I remember it (though not quite 100 years ago!). Why on earth would anyone want to replace a beautiful looking facade like that with an insipid, characterless one?

And what's that awful looking building in Barker's Pool with red (or is it orange) metalwork that looks like scaffolding protruding from it?

Thanks for that old pic of the Grand Hotel, Jim. Just as I remember it (though not quite 100 years ago!). Why on earth would anyone want to replace a beautiful looking facade like that with an insipid, characterless one?

The awful looking building was the Gaumont/Odeon Cinema (see my post) the building that was destroyed to build this monstrosity was a beautiful Cinema also called the Gaumont, the original Cinema was called the Regent and was opened in 1927, when it closed in November 1985 the last three films to be screened was "Cocoon, Desperately Seeking Susan & Peter Pan"

I am visiting, a bucket list trip, from NZ in early Oct. I was born at the old Jessop's hospital, began school at Hartleybrooke and lived in the Lane top area. This was all a VERY long time ago! Can anyone suggest where I could stay to wander around these areas,I shall be on foot. Bed and breakfast would be fine. I believe the old hospital wing has been demolished?

Hope I've posted in the right place......many thanks

There's a B & B on Burngreave Road but I'm sure it's all that savoury. You might be better at the Garrison in Hillsborough or the Holiday Inn at meadowhall

Just where in the centre of sheffield is "Beautiful"? The Gaumont/Odeon cinema building in Barkers Pool, ugly, the Manpower Services building, ugly, the Moor ugly, there isn't a decent new building in town.

'Just where in the centre of Sheffield is beautiful'

All the people walking along the streets, doing their shopping, waiting for buses, going to work. That's what's beautiful about Sheffield.

OP - enjoy your visit. Things have changed the folk remain the same

Thank you to everyone, your comments have been most helpful. Auckland is very different to when I arrived in the 60's so I expect change everywhere!

I think the Meadowhall shopping centre was built on the site of the steelworks where my Dad worked so that will be nostalgic albeit very very different!

I do appreciate all your input, you have helped to jog my memory dimmed by age and time!I am still fiercely proud to have been born a Yorkshire gal.